Tempest A40 w/ solid hub

Hey guys, I have a question/problem.

So I was running an A40 Tempest on my '99 Optimax 225. Getting unbelievable numbers with it. Last 2 years I had water in my lower unit. 2 years ago I had new seals put in. Last year I had water in it again. So I took it to a mechanic who took it apart. He said I was running too thin of a thrust washer for that prop, which caused damage to the lower unit. So I bought a Mercury Rebuilt lower unit this spring, and mounted in on the motor. (Has low water pick up in the nose cone now YAY!!) Anyhow, I did a shit ton of research and found the thrust washer for this prop back that was made in the late 70's early 80's. The thrust washer fits the shaft taper perfectly. But now when I put the prop on, the splines on the shaft stop right at the back of the pressed in hub. So a castle washer will not make contact with the splines.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do? I have a lot of $$ stuck into this prop and I hate to have to start all over again with setups. I called mercury support and they told me just to run the thinner thrust washer... which is what got me in this mess in the first place with damaging my old lower.

Any help is appreciated. I have a tournament in 2 weeks and I need to get this figured out asap!!

Thanks,

Jess
    AK Outdoors Pro Staff
    Limit Out Baits Pro Staff
    Hawg Pours Pro Staff
    American Baitworks Pro Staff
    Helix 12 SI w/ 360, Helix 10 Mega SI, 798ci HDSI
    ’99 Procraft 205 Pro DC '09 Evinrude 225 HO Etec
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

2. Member
    Sorry i can't help you . It been a while since i run a press in hub prop . Never had any problems with the trust washer and lower unit .
    But they was on my 2.5 200 hp motor . Was told the 3 liter exhuast was to hot for them and the plastic would break down .

IT seam's if the Dealer know's if you have the wrong thurst washer ....he could find out the correct one that would work for you .
    But just my 000.2 cent i would sell the prop and get a flo-thru hub and a Tempest plus prop and call it a day .
    Lower units are not cheap ...new used or ect ?

3. Banned
    I have a A-40 Tempest 25" pitch with the pressed in hub I've run on my 1995 Mercury 200xri outboard and I've been running the same thrust washer on the prop / lower unit for 20 plus years. The castle washer ? (I don't know if that is the correct name) is supposed to fit in side the top of the prop, then the lock ring, and then the nut & tighten to the correct specs. I've never had any issues with my set up. If I were you I'd being the prop to a "Good" prop shop, explain to them what is going on and maybe they can head you in the right direction. Maybe something wrong with the pressed hub on the thrust washer side? Just guessing here, good luck with the prop & lower unit issue.
    Last edited by Cajun Bullet; 05-28-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: wrong wording

4. Member
    Look at the old thrust washer and see if it's worn out inside where the taper is from spinning on the shaft. That may be what's letting it run deeper in the case and you may just need the original thrust washer that's not damaged