Another dang Battery question

Well, I had it all figured out...through alot of researching and reading I had decided on an AGM group 31 battery for my Nitro with a 2002 Merc 175 EFI to crank and run electronics. I figured I had better check my onboard charger before I went out to buy my battery, turns out my ProMar 553 charger will not charge AGM batteries! Stupid charger. So now I am back to square one and have to find a wet cell battery to fit my needs. I currently have an autocraft wet cell group 24 that seems to be getting weak, when I start my motor, my sonars turn off. This has only started happening when I put the bigger motor on back of the boat...bigger motor=bigger battery I guess.

I have been calling around to all the auto parts stores and the largest battery anyone has is group 27 and the reserve capacity is pretty low on these batteries. Since AGM is out of the question what battery should I get?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7235

beast.

For a 60 lb battery, hard to beat those specs, flooded, maintenance free, AGM or other.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post

beast.

For a 60 lb battery, hard to beat those specs, flooded, maintenance free, AGM or other.
    Be aware that is a calcium lead battery with good specs when utilized in a commercial application. Great for an ambulance or big tractor or an 18 wheeler. Doesn't use hardly any water, thus is maintenance free.

Specs alone can be very misleading when batteries are misused in an unintended application.Op is likely wanting to invest in a long term battery more suitable for recreational marine use. Probably wants to stay with a more traditonal alloy flooded lead acid marine battery.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 05-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Be aware that is a calcium lead battery with good specs when utilized in a commercial application. Doesn't use hardly any water, thus maintenance free.

Specs alone can be very misleading when batteries are misused in an unintended application.Op is likely wanting a long term battery more suitable for recreational marine use.
    I was looking at that battery also. Could you explain the difference please? Thanks......

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    A fire truck or ambulance relies on its commercial battery to power its heavy loads. And their mechanic/maintenance shop changes the batteries out on a tight preventative maintenance schedule as calcium lead chemistry can show shortened life whenever those great specs are utilized. Cost of a battery is very small compared to the total costs of the expensive vehicle.

A recreational boater's expects to invest in a battery using plate chemistry allowing him to keep the battery for more than one season, hopefully even years.....not to be changing it out buying a new battery every few months. If he regularly heavily discharges, it, he expects to put it on a charger and it again and again have reasonably full capacity.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 05-25-2017 at 11:39 AM.

7. Member
    Did alot of reading last night and came to the conclusion that the Everstart Maxx 29DC is probably the best option for me, it is available at every walmart across the country and carries a 2 year replacement warranty, also the reviews are pretty good and the price was $117.97 out the door including a core charge.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post

beast.

I went with this one this year. I ended up paying around $130. Did a lot of reading on here about this and it sure sounds like 3 years is not out of the question on these.

you might want to check out batteries plus bulb. To me they have the best prices around and always have a rebate on top of that

https://www.batteriesplus.com/search...Chemistry:Lead Acid|Format:BCI Group 31M~BCI Group 34M~BCI Group 65&q=marine+battery
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike