Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

96 javelin.. need help!!

I have a 96 javelin 400tdc with a johnson 225hp. It has a 10" backplate and a 25p tempest prop. At wot and trimmed up im at 62mph but my issue is that it sounds and feels like the props loosing grip In The water. I can Hear it catch and then slip in the water and it feels like the boat goes side to side a bit when it happens. I've tried all different prop to pad heights and trimminig the motor more and less. Does anyone have any ideas of what's causing this or what it is doin? Thank you.

2. Member
    Check the hub in the prop , then if that not it . I would check the engine out . Thats a near 80 mph boat and motor if all is correct ?

Thats to much plate for that boat as well. You should be in the low 70s at worst. Maybe the setback is affecting it. Also these hulls like the weight in the azz. Fill live wells and fuel and see what you get. Make sure the butter flies open all the way at full throttle. Check the hub kit to like above mentioned. The Merc kit on the Evinrude sometimes has issues. The Michigan wheel kit is better, #200
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    What do I check on the hub kit?I know it's not not slipping if that's what ur talking about. And what size plate would you recommend? I know the butterflies are opening I checked them already. Im having a hard time getting the boat to turn much over 5200 or 5300 rpms. So I'm not sure what can cause that cause the motor is all running good up to par. Thanks

5. Member
    i have tried the motor at all different prop heights and the higher i lift the motor on the hull the slower the boat goes which seems odd and backwards to me as my prop to pad height is a large amount now and the prop is very deep in the water, not sure of the exact number at the moment.

6. Member
    I would go to a 6 inch jackplate.. Then try a 26p raker prop.. that seems to be the perfect combo with the 20ft javelin hulls

7. Member
    Well im already having trouble turning the rpms I want now..so a 26 prop will drop them more correct?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline94 View Post
    What do I check on the hub kit?I know it's not not slipping if that's what ur talking about. And what size plate would you recommend? I know the butterflies are opening I checked them already. Im having a hard time getting the boat to turn much over 5200 or 5300 rpms. So I'm not sure what can cause that cause the motor is all running good up to par. Thanks
    What happens is the Merc kit squashes some and you bottom out on tightening. It ends up letting your thrust washer spin on the prop shaft and wears into your shaft eventually causing failure. Pull it all off and see if you have wear on the prop shaft? In either case get the Michigan wheel hub if you're going to run Merc props on the Evinrude.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    I will check that out.. I will check that out and order a Michigan wheel kit because I believe I have a mercury kit now. I'm not sure what to do about the top speed. Can a damaged lower skeg cause issues? I think mine has been repaired before.

No it shouldn't cause an issue. See if you can borrow a prop from someone. Try another known to be like new Tempest 25, 26 or Trophy 25. A 25 Raker and Renegade would work too. You need to make sure that prop is in peak shape to test for the issue.

11. Member
    The prop is brand new out of the box. I purchased it myself and installed it. It's just my skeg looks wider then the ones I've seen on other lower units like mine. I was wondering if it was wider like a replacement skeg that was welded on which ive seen before and the water is not getting to the prop like it should be... maybe I'm over thinking it but it it seems like it takes very little to change how a boat goes So I am trying to make sure I'm covering all my options to fix my problem. Thanks to

12. Member
    Maybe u should remove my 10" Jack plate and mount the outboard back directly to the transom and see if that changes anything for the better? If my 10" jackplate if in fact to mucu plate

13. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Adrenaline im about in your same problem. I have a 97 400. I bought the boat with no motor and it had a 10" plate. Everyone says no more the 8" and 6" is perfect. I bought a new vance Manufacturing 6" plate. I bought a 225 vindicator this spring. I put a 25 4 blade renegade on it. P2p is 3.5. Im only able to turn it 4900-5000 rpms and speed is 56.
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com
    Hand Tied Jigs, Spinnerbaits and much more
    2000 Skeeter zx202c - 200 Yamaha Vmax OX66 VX200TLRY

14. Member
    Yea.. i loose speed speed by liftingmy motor up to 3.5" and drop it and get more speed.. it makes no sense to me.. I know I'm missing somthing but can't figure out what.

15. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    That dont make any sense. I hope you get it figured out
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

16. Member
    i know it makes no sense at all, thats why i am here asking for help hahaha. im lost and hoping more experienced people can lend some advice as they have. and thanks guys for the info so far. nothing i have done yet has made it better but im at least im eliminating possible issues.

17. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Im thinking since the prop is new, maybe something with the motor or boat. Is the motor sound? Whats the max rpms your turning
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

18. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    If your low on rpms drop a pitch or 2 that should bring you up. Dont quote me on this but i think our motors max rpms are 5800. I could be wrong but i bet its close. Also have you updated your carb drain screws to the ones with a tit? And did you change out the high speed jet in number 2 carb? Those probably aint your problems but that should help with the longevity with the motor. And make sure you have champion plugs
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

19. Member
    I have no idea what carb updates you are talking about. What are the updates and where can I find them? I would like to make everything as it should be thanks.. and I had a smaller pitch prop.. it did turn 5800 rpms but only at 60 mph so something there still isn't right

20. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Hmm i dont know. Go on the johnny and evinrude forum and ask fred (champioNman) he knows these motors like no one else. He will also get you the part numbers for the updates. One way to check is use a number 2 straight screwdriver take the cowl off, then take off the carb cover. You will see 6 brass screws on the carb bowls. Take them out the new updated ones have 2 tits. The old style is solid. While your looking at the carbs the top left carb is the one you want to take the jet out of. Its behind that brass drain screw. Becareful when getting it out. For instance, all my high speed jets were 73d. Its stamped on them. So i ordered a 75d for the top left carb. This is what this update does. 2 things the updated brass carb drain screws keep the high speed jet seated so it wont come out. The bigger high speed jet allows more fuel to that cylinder to cool it. These motors get hot and that 1 cylinder looses it piston pin so that keeps that one cool. I hope i explained it ok. ChampioNman can def educate you on these.
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast