Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What kind of gas do you run in your Skeeter?

I have been using unleaded octane 87. I use Yamaha Ring Free and Yamaha Stabilizer in every tank. Guy at the Skeeter dealership told me to try Premium gas and I should see an increase in my speed. My boat is running about 5 mph slower than what it should.

Do any of yall use Midgrade or Premium in your boat? Do you notice a difference compared to unleaded? What are the benefits?

2. Member
    nope
    same as you

3. Member
    My mechanic told me to run 89 and that's what I do. Just bought a new 2017 FX 21 LE and he told me the same thing, run the 89 and don't worry about adding the ring free to a new motor. FWIW...straight from a great Yamaha mechanics mouth.

4. Member
    I run 89 octane (per the owners manual) and Yamaha ring free plus (per the owners manual). I also add Mercury Quick care. 1oz per 10 gallons of both products.

That is in a 2015 250 SHO
    Last edited by bgibson; 05-25-2017 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added engine information

5. Member
    You don't mention which motor you have. The correct answer can vary depending on motor. Some SHO engines say 89 and some say 87.

The one answer that is always correct is to read your manual. If the engine pops and Yamaha denies a claim, I don't think "my mechanic said so" gets much merit.

Also, Google and read "the truth about octane".

6. Banned
    My HPDI runs mid-grade(89)to reduce pre-detonation, cheap powerhead insurance.

7. Member
    I have a Yahama 200 Sho. One of my gas tanks is almost empty. After I empty it I'm going to put 5 gallons of midgrade in it and see if I can notice a difference.

8. Member
    I have the 300 series 2 and I believe it says 87 octane

9. Member
    89 and STA-BIL 360 Marine.
    2013 Skeeter 21i - 250 SHO

I run 87 regular per the owners' manual for a 2015 SHO 225. I also add Ring-Free every time.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

11. Member
    Yamaha mechanic who works directly for yamaha told me 89 octane non ethanol. I put star tron enzyme treatment in case of any traces of ethanol. Motor is a 2013 SHO pushes my ZX20 73 mph gps

89-93 plus ring free running a sho

91 ETHANOL FREE
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    My mechanic told me to run 89 and that's what I do. Just bought a new 2017 FX 21 LE and he told me the same thing, run the 89 and don't worry about adding the ring free to a new motor. FWIW...straight from a great Yamaha mechanics mouth.
    Dealer also told me the same
    2017 Skeeter ZX 250

15. Member
    If it was me and I had a new $15,000 - $20,000 engine, I'd ignore the Owner's manual and follow the instructions from some gear head.

I can promise you, without fear of being wrong, that Yamaha has performed extensive testing on the engine and that following the Owner's manual will in the long run give you the best service.

PS - A large portion of my retirement is in petroleum stock, so buy all that over priced premium fuel you want.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    If it was me and I had a new $15,000 - $20,000 engine, I'd ignore the Owner's manual and follow the instructions from some gear head.

I can promise you, without fear of being wrong, that Yamaha has performed extensive testing on the engine and that following the Owner's manual will in the long run give you the best service.
    Huh?

17. Member

PS - A large portion of my retirement is in petroleum stock, so buy all that over priced premium fuel you want.
    I think you misunderstand, the Yamaha owners manual calls for 89 octane and Ring free Plus, so you might want to check your facts.

18. Member
    89 ethanol free from new...and always with ring free zx 225 sho 2016

19. Member
    If you will carefully READ my post, I didn't tell anyone what fuel to use, only to follow the Owner's manual. If it calls for 101 octane aviation fuel, that's what I'd run. If it calls for E85, I'd use that. I know that Yamaha has different recommendations for different engine models. Just use what they they say and you'll be OK. I have a 2002 HPDI that's been run hard, borderline abused, since 2002. Never put anything in but 87 with whatever ethanol is in the pump. Cheapest crap gas I can find. 15 plus years old and still running strong.

20. Member
    If you will carefully READ my post, I didn't tell anyone what fuel to use, only to follow the Owner's manual. If it calls for 101 octane aviation fuel, that's what I'd run. If it calls for E85, I'd use that. I know that Yamaha has different recommendations for different engine models. Just use what they they say and you'll be OK. I have a 2002 HPDI that's been run hard, borderline abused, since 2002. Never put anything in but 87 with whatever ethanol is in the pump. Cheapest crap gas I can find. 15 plus years old and still running strong.

Actually, if we carefully READ your post... you stated that you would IGNORE the owner's manual, as seen in this direct quote: "
    Then your next statement contradicted yourself. Hence the "Huh?" from a poster above.

Obviously a mistype.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast