Kentucky lake helpI

I got a tournament next month (June 10&11) out of Paris landing. I've never been to Kentucky lake and looking for any little help I can get. I'm used to fishing highland lakes like tablerock and lake of the ozarks so this will be something all new to me. Are there any areas of the lake that tend to produce more and better fish or is it just a matter of finding them? I plan to have a swimbait, c-rig, spoon, big worm, deep crankbait and probably a jig tied on. Anything else I should try? Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Idle around until you find them on your graph... Or use the bent pole pattern like many on KY and other places are accustomed to doing.
    You should be able to find fish then anywhere from 12ft to 30ft deep. whatever you are most confident in. Just my humble opinion.

If the water stays up you can catch them in the bushes in the creeks. If the water is down look at,the bends in the river where a current break is obvious. Somewhere the bass can ambush bait fish coming down the channel or across the bars.

4. Member
    Lake is back at pool now.. Winning pattern will be an offshore ledge bite.. One of the baits you have listed WILL be what the winning weight will be caught on. For that matter, probably every check. Scan.... Locate...catch them until they quit biting .....repeat.

5. Member
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/ledge-fishing-secrets/

Read this. Gives examples of what to look for on your charts on Pickwick and KY lake. One of the best ledge fishing articles I've seen

Hey Andy I am going to give you a few of my spots. Ok lets start with Lick Creek it is about 10 miles south of Paris Landing, I use a jerk bait early in the morning to find fish and then use a June bug color Baby brush hog in the bush. I do some ledge fishing right south of the bridge using the fishing secrets the in the link above. There is Blood River however you have to have a Kentucky Fishing License to fish in the river, you can catch fish at the mouth using a Tennessee License. If you run 20 miles south of Paris you want to find Danville good place to find big ones. Fish the south end of the track. Even further south you will hit Sulfur Creek an Harman Creek. I hope this Helps.
    Last edited by Frosty03; 06-08-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Let me just say if you don't have a popping frog out around main lake weed beds in the early hours you are missing and opportunity to catch a lot of fish.

8. Member
    I only WISH there was some main lake grass mats between New Johnsonville and Paris Landing.

So how did it go? It should be a board rule where if you ask for help you should have to post a fishing report.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
    So how did it go? It should be a board rule where if you ask for help you should have to post a fishing report.
    I agree

Ray
    (2005 Stratos 201/250 Yamaha HPDI)

11. Member
    Sorry guys, just saw your reply. It went awful lol we ended up with 9 pounds for 2 days lol A couple things that played to our success or lack there of, were still really learning to use our electronics and learning what a school of bass look like vs a school of carp or other game fish. Also boat positioning when did find a school of fish. I've only really been fishing for 3 or 4 years and don't have anyone to teach me other than what I learned from reading or YouTube. I did catch a 17ish inch(only have a 15" measuring board) crappie on an 8xd

12. Member

13. Member
    Nice job, learning yourself is my favorite way. Takes longer, but I think you will have a better understanding when you are done than the other guy who got help or fished the bent rod pattern.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    I just fish a small club now and all of us missouri boys struggled! First place only had like 21 pounds for 2 days. We ended up in 7th out of 16 boats. I think the biggest factor we struggled with was the current and constantly having to stay on the trolling motor and with the big waves our marker buoy would continue to unroll and be 50 feet from where we dropped it. But even with what we learned this first time I think next time I'm there will be a lot better!

15. Member
    Buoys are great until big waves and current are a factor like you found out.
    Standing on the trolling motor, staring at the gps screen, and fishing all at the same time is pretty tough but it just takes practice to get the hang of it.

16. Member
    Yeah I believe that! My buddies boat that we fished off doesn't have a gps unit at the trolling motor either so he was having to use the navionics app on his phone and it was a struggle to say the least.

Anyone ever tried a heavier weight on the marker buoy and tied the string off to the buoy after it un-rolls? I know it sounds like a lot of trouble, but I'm still not comfortable or confident enough that my lure is where I think it is by looking at the GPS screen.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    Anyone ever tried a heavier weight on the marker buoy and tied the string off to the buoy after it un-rolls? I know it sounds like a lot of trouble, but I'm still not comfortable or confident enough that my lure is where I think it is by looking at the GPS screen.
    Yes that is what i have done in the past and it works great.

19. Member
    That's not a bad idea! May have to figure something out with some sort of clip to hold the line from unrolling.