Vision 180 Pro setup

Good afternoon,

When I purchased this boat PTP was 4.50". My top speed was 63.5 at 5400 rpm's. Have been raising the motor 1/4" at a time. Top speed has decreased steadily with each raise down to 58.0 at 5500 rpm's. I can trim motor to almost full trim below water pressure drops below 15 psig. My motor is a 150 Mercury Pro Max with 24P Lazer II prop. As I give it throttle it is pushing front end of boat down appears that most of hull is in the water. If I back off of throttle front end appears to rise? I have a great hole shot. It can get on plane very quickly. I feel I need a different prop with a different pitch. I have a 6" Jackplate. Please give me some advise I want to maximize the performance on this little boat. Boat setup as far as fuel and tackle have basically the same during the noted conditions.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Member
    You should have stopped by when I made my offer, at the white columns inn.
    The pad on a vision does not lift the bow very well at all. Because of the V through the pad, it makes for a great but wet ride, with little bow lift. The laser does not lift very well either.
    I would start with a 23" Trophy, and add tip cupping if it needs it to lift the bow. The 150's don't turn the large props like Bravo and Tempest so well.
    Do you have the small gearcase (1.78 or 2.0 gears) or the large gearcase (1.87 gears)
    Are your speeds speedo or GPS?

3. Member
    Yes, I wish I could have spoken with while you were in Thomson. I had a business trip that kept me out of town during that period. I believe my gearcase is 1.87, but not completely sure. What is the best method for determining the gearcase ratio? Where would you start with purchasing the prop? Is there someone here on BBC that I could order a 23P prop from and have the tip cupped? My speeds are gps. I have Humminbird helix on the dash and a speedo app on my phone that are matching up within a couple of tenths. Any help would be appreciated.

4. Member
    If you are losing speed and gaining rpm's while raising the motor stop and drop it back down. Measure the inside of the hub of the gear case and see what it measures. From the numbers you posted it's 1:78 lower unit. You could have cup added to your prop but I'd be looking for a small hub 22" laser II maybe even less pitch than that since you should be able to turn that motor over 6000 and have it worked.

5. Member
    Thanks, I'll measure gearcase today and report back.

6. Member
    I found this chopper prop on ebay. What do y'all think about it? Is this what I should be looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391763332555...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

7. Member
    No. Holeshot with any load will be terrible. And it will have to be modified cutting the back of the blades off and adding cupping. And being it is a labbed propeller, it is too thin to last.
    If you have the smaller lower unit, a Trophy will be your best prop choice. You will need to get your RPM's to at least 6000 RPM's. But the right prop along will get you more speed, thus more RPM's.

8. Member
    Thanks, I will begin looking in that direction.