1997 Evinrude Intruder timing arm moving.

(E175GLEUC) my timing arm was off moved it like some of the post said too. It made my motor run great. promblem is it moves back out of position after a all day trip the screws are tight. What would cause this?Thanks for any help. I put lock tight thread glue around the screw. It still moved.

2. Member
    You need to disconnect the throttle cable before you make the adjustments,if you didn't before. After adjustment,you may need to adjust the cable trunion to fit in the holder.

3. Member
    Thanks I will try it.

4. Member
    The important thing is that the timing and the carbs open at the same time. Take the cable off of the linkage and make the adjustments, if you have a hot foot you may be able to adjust the trunion nut to get the cable on the linkage so that the timing roller touches the timing arm and the carb cam touches the carb roller. If you don't have a hot foot and have a control box or built in controls, the adjustment is move the shift/throttle lever to the first indent and pull it back half way to neutral and then adjust the trunion nut. You may not have enough threads on the cable to reach the linkage, in that case you must pull the linkage to the cable and hook it up. This will mean that now the timing roller does not touch the arm, this is perfectly OK because the timing and carbs will still open at the same time and the controls will shift into gear before any throttle is opened. This is how OMC designed this to work, you may have about a 1/4 inch gap, roller to arm, the carbs will still open al the way.