Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Ya, the benefits from a tandem for doing the actual job of a boat trailer far outweigh the few cons in my mind.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Thank you everyone. That helped me with a lot of decisions.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Wet your floor before moving your tandem. The tires will slip a bit easier if you need to move it sideways. A drop or two of soap will help even more.

simple answer, blow a hub or tire and you will have time to pull over with little to no issues.
    2007 Nitro 929CDX, 225 Mercury Opti.
    Hummingbird Helix 10/1199 Lowrance 9/12 carbon/Ultrex

Tandem cons- maneuverability, on tight turns the front wheels scoot sideways instead of rolling putting a lot of stress on the sidewalls. The front tires will usually blow first. If you have an asphalt driveway and have to make a tight turn, over time you will roll up the asphalt and damage the driveway. When hooking up the trailer you have get the ball within a few inches of the coupler to be able to hook it up. A tandem is nearly impossible to move by hand.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWeb View Post
    The only people that will say single axle will be the ones owning single axles currently and probably never owned a dual axle.

My first 2 boats were single axle.

I currently have a tandem axle and will NEVER go back to a single axle. The level of safety and stability with a tandem axle is just tremendous.

This.

Im in almost exact same position. First two boats single current boat tandem and wouldn't go back even with a smaller boat.

7. Member
    i have owned both and it depends on how much towing you do,i very seldom tow over 75 miles so i will take a single axle any day,you can move them in the garage, i replace tires about every 3-4 years a lot less maintenance with tires,wheel bearings spring hangers and squeaks and rattles,but if you have a heavy boat or on the line weight wise get a tandem,but for me a single works just fine and i have owned both

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1johnb View Post
    Wet your floor before moving your tandem. The tires will slip a bit easier if you need to move it sideways. A drop or two of soap will help even more.
    Tip of the day!

Pro: Your boat spends 95% of its life on that trailer.

Con: None.
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

10. Member
    After blowing a tire years ago on a single axle at speed on the interstate, the answer for me was easy. Tandem all the way....

11. Member
    My rig is tandem, disk brakes on all wheels, with shocks, c frame ... tows and stops like a dream.

12. Member
    I use vehicle position jacks to move everything in my garage, they make it easy in my cluttered garage.

Like this https://www.kincrome.com.au/images/P...500/K12102.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    On an rt198 a tandem is a big waste of money both in initial cost and more tires/maint.
    I agree Tandem axles are great where they are needed but for that rig and weight a standard 3500 lb axle and properly rated tires will give years of trouble free service. Those that say a tandem axle has no cons is not true on a trailer that is not long enough and/or heavy enough youre wearing out 4 tires at a time for nothing.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Single sucks, had one on my first boat. Four boats later, all tandem for reasons all ready stated above. Only 2 advantages are single is easier to move by hand and I think a single backs a little easier on very tight turns.
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

15. Member
    Not trying to hijack the thread. I have a 2000# boat(fully loaded) on a single axle trailer, 2200# axle (stock), no brakes.
    I've been contemplating making it a tandem, with brakes on the new axle.
    So it would be a waste to do that?

16. Member
    If my 93 Ranger had a Tandum trailer I would be keeping it around. I'm looking at a newer boat on a single axle trailer but would just buy a dual axle if I ever decide to travel more. Single isn't bad if the trailer and weight is even out fine.

17. Member
    I have had both and prefer the tandem. Just tows better and is safer. I have had two trailer tires blow out while traveling and both were on single axle trailers.

Being a midwest guy, like you, I find tandem the preference by far. The Ranger may not need it for weight, but for long drives, and yes 2 hours each way is a long haul compared to many others, tandem tows better and provides better over the road stability. We're not lucky enough as some in the east/south/southeast that a long drive to the lake for them is 90 minutes. Plains states, a couple hours is close, and for me it's 7 hours to Table Rock and I want a Tandem for that haul for sure...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

19. Member
    Interesting pros on the tandems - definitely considerations.
    I am a 'good enough' guy - if the trailer is rated for 3200#
    and my rig loaded is 2200#, I am good to go.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

20. Member
    My only complaint with the tandem is I have to push sideways to fit into my garage and it's a pain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast