Smile Re-Power Ranger R71 with Pro SX 115 CT - Up-Date

I had posted earlier asking for input on re-powering a 125 Merc. on a like new Ranger R71. Several good thoughts from the board and decided to go with the Pro SX 115 CT and all I can say is WOW!!

Having tested several props I choose a Fury 3 / 24 and am getting 56 MPH @ 5900 RPM WOT. This little boat jumps out of the hole, cruises very well and has plenty of speed for my use. Night and day compared to the old 125. Starts on first click of the key, no smoke, 10 mph faster, much quicker out of the hole and so much quieter, when it is idling I have to look at the water cooling stream to tell if it is running.

Thanks for the input, I'm very pleased I decided to re-power and selected the Pro SX.

2. Member
    Wow. Is that 56 gps? What made you decide on the ct?
    Us R7x guys are gettin' ideas .....
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

3. Member
    I'm glad you updated us I'm wanting to do the same thing and I also have a Mercury 125 on a 17'6'' Javelin so I guess we got about the same size boat because I'm only getting about 45 gps speed out of it. What year model is your Ranger ? my Javelin is a '02 just having a hard time deciding if it's worth putting 8500.00 in it but it's super clean and it does everything I need and it's payed for. Do you have any pics of your boat with your new motor on it and was there anything else you had to change ?

4. Member
    I HAVE a 115hp evinrude etec 2016 zero hours id make someone a good deal on thats wanting to repower a similar boat!!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    I'm glad you updated us I'm wanting to do the same thing and I also have a Mercury 125 on a 17'6'' Javelin so I guess we got about the same size boat because I'm only getting about 45 gps speed out of it. What year model is your Ranger ? my Javelin is a '02 just having a hard time deciding if it's worth putting 8500.00 in it but it's super clean and it does everything I need and it's payed for. Do you have any pics of your boat with your new motor on it and was there anything else you had to change ?
    I was in the same boat (pun intended) as you. My boat was in great condition, I love the boat, had all the added bells and whistles I wanted so I saw no need to buy a new boat.
    Answers to questions:
    - My Ranger is a 2000 R71
    - I chose the CT for the better gear ratio and the ability to use the bigger props
    - Speed is MPH dead calm & glass water. The MPH compare to the 125 was also MPH so the 10 MPH increase should be close
    - Going from Merc to Merc allowed me to utilize all the original cabling, controls, tach & speedometer saving about $1500. Only having to buy the motor and prop. If you went with the non CT you could use your existing prop.
    - Motors were very close in weight

Last edited by Dahlonega Jim; 05-24-2017 at 04:20 PM.

6. Member
    Jim,are you saying the CTmodel has a large diameter lower unit that can run v6 type props? That being the case,I wonder why even make one with a small lower.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Jim,are you saying the CTmodel has a large diameter lower unit that can run v6 type props? That being the case,I wonder why even make one with a small lower.
    Yes and I'm not sure. The CT is newer over the standard lower unit on these 115s. Sure improves the prop options.

8. Member
    Is there a advantage with going with the CT as far as speed or anything if not maybe the stanard would be allright with seeing how I just bought a new 4 blade 19P Trophy Plus that I could use but if there is a difference I don't mind getting another one after all it's only money LOL. Thanks for the reply Jim and you got a good looking rig and yes we are in the same boat I really like what I got it's in great shape and I have it rigged just like I want.

9. Member
    I called Ranger and told them what motor I selected and they told me the standard lower unit would be fine. However, when I told him I was thinking of adding 2 Talons he quickly suggested going to the CT because of the additional weight in the rear. Not sure the CT does much in speed but surely increases the torque.

That's an awesome set up Jim. I'd love to have that exact rig.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    That's an awesome set up Jim. I'd love to have that exact rig.
    Thanks, I love the smaller size, mostly just me fishing and I'm able to double tow it behind my 5th wheel RV and stay under the length max in all states

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahlonega Jim View Post
    Thanks, I love the smaller size, mostly just me fishing and I'm able to double tow it behind my 5th wheel RV and stay under the length max in all states
    I need to come visit you LOL I also have a fifth wheel I would love to tow both just don't know how a hitch could be rigged up on the back of camper and I think I would be a nervous wreck going down the road.

13. Member
    Great lookin' rig.
    I love the Ranger R7x series ....
    Do not take your half in the middle ....