Live well maintenance.

How do y'all clean your live well. Or any other modafication y'all do to your live well to keep as much weight on your fish as possible and alive.

2. Rich Purington
    I clean with bleach crystals at the beginning of the year. Fill the wells, add the crystals (about a 1/3 cup), re-circ for about 30 minutes, then drain. Fill again, just water, re-circ and drain (4-5 times).

I clean the aerator holes out, clean the screens on drain covers, clean the fill lines (basscat has valves to do this) and scrub the wells before I use the bleach.

After tourneys I rinse the wells with hose and drain...nothing added. I get any remaining water out with a shop-vac.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

3. Member
    I wash mine whenever they get dirty with Mcguires car wash detergent. It's mild and rinses out easily. I also remove the sprayer nozzle and run the pumps while the water is in there. Usually have right much crawdad parts flush out of the hoses.

Rinse out every time I get home from fishing, no stains and I have never had to use chems.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

5. Member
    V-T2 Livewell Vents added to my lids and livewells are dry when I get home. Just wipe the inside of the livewell with a damp cloth to remove any scales or other debris
    left behind by the fish

6. Banned
    use dawn once a year. Cheap and easy..

Timer on the live well system to keep ammonia levels down in the water.

I just wipe mine out with a clean cloth of some sort.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

8. Member
    What do y'all also use when the fish are in the live wells. And how do y'all prepare for a long run.

9. Member
    Fish care depends on water temp. Below about 80*,I just use Please release me. Above 80*, I use Please release me and ice' try to keep the livewell temp about 10* lower than the lake temp and never less than 70*. For a long run,I put the valve on recirc and run the pumps on constant,plug the overflow with a 1" bilge plug and fill the well to just below the spray nozzle. In rough water you will lose most of the water from sloshing out of the overflow.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I just open the drain, and wash them out from time to time.....VT-2 livewell vents and fresh water on the timer...never lost a fish....

11. Rich Purington
    Quote Originally Posted by 44k1500fom View Post
    What do y'all also use when the fish are in the live wells. And how do y'all prepare for a long run.
    I buy a BassCat and don't worry about my fish being alive at the end of the day. Change to recirc during long runs.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Here is something I posted on the clever tricks and idea forum. It's an easy way to insulate a livewell lid... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ght=insulation

I also installed V-T2 livewell vents. Another thing I do is everytime when I park the boat in the garage I vacuum out what water is in the bottom of my livewell. I keep a shop vac on a shelf right next to the plug in where I plug in my onboard charger. After I plug in my charger I turn on the shop vac and remove any water that is in the bottom of my livewell. I also get any water that is in my bilge. I use a shop vac because it's easier that removing the drain plug. It only takes about 30 seconds to do livewell and bilge so it's no real inconvenience. In fact it's easier than removing the bilge plug. Plus I never have to remember to put my plug back in because I don't remove it. I also leave the livewell lids open so the livewell can air out while the batteries are charging. When I unplug my charger I close the livewell lids.

13. Member
    I don't ever wash mine, just rinse out with a hose and wipe out trash with a wet rag.
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!