Cup Job? Worked Prop?

I have owned many props over the years, but this is the first one that appears to have been "worked". It's an OMC Renegade 13.5x25 and I think the cup job on it looks less than ideal.

I'm not getting much if any bow lift, 50.1GPS MPH at 5300 3.5" below pad, no jackplate. The Charger 186VF listed below. Prop sounds like it's cavitating while running WOT and I can overheat the 175 Intruder if I over trim. If I keep trim down a bit, I can run 48+mph on the GPS at about 5000. This boat should be faster than that, but not entirely worried about that, just have poor bow lift right now.

I plan to try a 24" Raker, but by the looks of this, should I have this thing put back to normal or keep it cupped as it is? Is it crap or a decent looking job?

Not so much worried about max speed here, but just good handling... I got this boat over the winter and just got it running properly, so these are my results from first hard runs with it.

Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

2. Member
    Seems like you have too much pitch for the motor. RPM'S are too low.

3. Member
    It's definitely been repaired and looks like some tip cup has been added. One clue is the sand marks running crossways of the blade. I've seen props finished like that before after a repair but I don't know why.Some of your problem is the leading edge roughness,looks like it's been bottomed out a few times.Im not familiar with Charger boats,other than they are heavy but you still might be able to run it if it was in good shape. Might be worth it to have it put back to original.

4. Member
    Without a jack plate you are set too high prop to pad at 3.5" under so drop it down one hole to 4.25 under and have a water pump kit put in the motor before you burn it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Without a jack plate you are set too high prop to pad at 3.5" under so drop it down one hole to 4.25 under and have a water pump kit put in the motor before you burn it up.
    It has a new pump kit in it, just over trimmed and it overheated one time. I don't over trim anymore . I didn't do the setup on the boat, but working on that now. Deciding if I want to put a plate on it or just go fishing...

I was really just wondering if this is a hack job on the prop work and I should have it repaired to spec... I'll get it dialed in eventually...

All responses are appreciated...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

6. Member
    You better let the motor down one hole so you don't over heat the motor again and get a water pressure gauge. It only over heated one time and that will burn the impeller up real fast.

It was probably cupped for a reason. It may not have been a good decision for that boat/motor, but it does look intentional. I would sell the Renegade, and buy a 24 Raker. The 25-Gade is too much prop, especially with the extra cup.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

8. Member
    That grind on the edge doesn't mean it was cupped some guys sand the edge like that and they say it gives the prop more bite.