helix mega power consumption?

I see the mega units use a lot more juice than older models . Is there concern about having enough battery to last a day of fishing ? I don't plan to get new units right now but if and when I do upgrade mega would be the way to go . I have a24 series starting battery in my 17 foot tin rig with a 25 hp motor . Do you think I would need a bigger battery or maybe an additional battery ? Right now I have a 998 and 788 running all day with no problems . If I go with 2 mega 10si I think there might be some issues .What do you think?

I went from a group 24 starting battery to a group 27 deep cycle battery, and then a group 29 deep cycle battery for my Tracker.

Get the largest battery you have room for and have dedicated circuits for the units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    What battery are you using? amp hours?. To guess I would say there is a pretty good chance you may have issues.Helix 9 mega draws about 3 times your other units. Bob

4. Member
    I also started with a Group 24 Interstate battery when running a 998/1198 and had no problems for the time I used it but I would be concerned with MEGA or SOLIX units. As indicated above, better to be safe then get stranded with a dead battery.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I have a pair of dual purpose 29's in parallel, and with 2 - G1 Helix 12 an 859DI and now the H12MSI added to the mix, I have my reservations about long term usage in cold WX I am usually spending a lot of time in. (Time will tell)

I will probably yank out every incandescent bulb I can and replace any lighting INCLUDING the back lights for the gauges IF I can get at them without 100 hours worth of hassle with all LEDs.

I think the general consensus among most of us here is that a pair of H10MSI's would take a group 24 battery down like a snack cracker....LOL!

I'm pulling down about 7.5 amps and I sure don't want to hear the starter's solenoid click in 20° F Wx at 3AM.

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/