Rub rail replacement?

I am curious if the Rub rail on a 15 cougar can be replaced. If so, what does something like that cost and is it fairly simple to do? Thanks.

2. Member
    You want to replace the entire rub rail or just the rubrail insert? Usually its just the insert that needs to be replaced and that is a simple process. The entire rubrail will take a little bit of removing some screws and popping the rivets out. Its definitely doable at the house but is a little time consuming.

Entire Rubrail:
    http://www.basscatstore.com/rubrailassembly.aspx

Rubrail Insert:
    http://www.basscatstore.com/rubrailassembly-1.aspx

3. Member
    Thank you.

4. Member
    Just did it on a puma. Replaced it all. The hardest part was putting in the rivots. Also on one side about 3/4 of the holes did not line up. Sealed them and redrilled some new holes. You will need a heavy duty rivot gun, not one of the hand held kind from lowes. It took my buddy and I about 4 hours to do it..

It takes the factory abut an hour and a half for two people to install rub rail and seal it. Roughly 180 rivets in long grip range. They suggest replacing just the insert usually as the rub rail holes will not line up and redrilling is a challenge. The design is where the mushroom insert covers most of the bump rail protecting it, and insert alone is available.

If you have to replace the bump moulding, then you can start by aligning the side holes and trying to match the sides first. This worked both directions may allow use of the existing holes if your careful with removal.

6. Member
    I don't mean to steal the thread, but I have an older 2000 PC that has the rope insert. Will I be able to install a rubber insert with the mushroom bead?

Not in that rub rail, your held to a cylindrical tube or rope.

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldkitty View Post
    I don't mean to steal the thread, but I have an older 2000 PC that has the rope insert. Will I be able to install a rubber insert with the mushroom bead?
    A quality black air hose used for compressed air will give you the look you want to achieve.