Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Dang looks great just went through the same shit doing my 79 168v wish mine was a 300 series for better hull design

2. Member
    Got any pic of your 168V?

3. Member
    Boat Electronics 1.JPGBoat Electronics 2.JPGBoat Electronics 3.JPGCharging System 1.JPGFront View of Boat with LEDs On.JPGNew Boat Seats.JPGNew Fuel Tank Components.JPGNew Motorized Anchor (1).JPGSecond New Charging System.JPGTrolling motor installed.JPGUnder Helm Wiring.JPGNAVS.JPG

Some more recent pics of boat. 2 bank charger for start battery and accessory battery. 3 bank charger for trolling motor up to 36V or smaller plus a spare battery. Platform and deck LED's all on individual switches with dimmers for ultimate control. New wireless trolling motor (my fav feature so far), motorized anchor, removable center seat with a center console/step for the right occasion. LED lighting in every compartment, under seats and in both livewells. Front panel has USB, 12V, cutoff switch, overload for winch and trolling motor outlet. Added a customized folding ladder that attaches to side of boat and holds up to 350 lbs (tested and works great) when boat is used for towing the tube or board. Added tow rope mounts at rear corners. Completed 100% new wiring throughout boat with lots of spare wires for future add on's if desired. All new gauges, steering wheel, shift controller, stereo, horn, fish finder, stainless cup holders, new stainless railing around front, removable rod holders all around boat that accept cutting table and other recreational accessories. External outlets for connecting chargers to land power without requiring cabinets to be opened for security. Dash LED indicator for charging status so visual can be done without opening cabinet lid to check. New fuel selector, water filter with clear bowl, all new vertical fuel floats, electrical split into 2 fuse blocks for better power distribution and minimizing circuit load. All electrical components and outlets fuse protected. USB and 12V outlets at front and center of boat. Trailer fully rewired and 100% water tight with new LEDs. All new livewell plumbing with added manual shutoff valves for emergency or part failures. Dual bilge pump set up for redundancy/fail proof protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STEVECABASS; 07-18-2019 at 04:00 AM.

4. Member

1st Big Trip

Just got back from a 4 day trip in so cal. Ran boat for 3 solid days for the first time since owning boat and completing majority of the overhaul. One thing I observed is that the livewells take the runoff water that comes over rail. If you have live well shut off for use as dry storage, then your dry items will get wet and submerged in water over time. We took a lot of family and friends tubing and knee boarding so by natural wet bodies in the boat we had a lot of water on deck. My solution is to add a secondary drain port that I can leave open to the main drain channel running through the boat so this doesn't happen when using as dry storage. Another feature I plan to do is add vents to the long cabinet as that will get some water seeping in there and add an external drain hole to the end of that cabinet as well to the deck.

The ultimate boat - I was able to load up 9 bodies mostly adults AND a bunch of equipment such as coolers, camping chairs, gazebo, life jackets, knee board and tube all at one time. The boat got up to 45 mph with that load and handled like a beauty. I couldn't believe it had that much capability with the official limit I believe of 6 persons. Yes I understand it was risky and we had a plan of emergency, but nothing happened and all went well. We rode across a major lake for about 40 minutes, dropped half the group off and the equipment to hang out for the day and rotated between the two groups in doing the tubing ect. This boat turned heads everywhere we went as most just thought it to be for fishing and we were passing other ski boats with ease. I have a 135 on this boat btw. I finally got to use all the accessories for fishing and night activity as we did some night fishing. It was better then I imagined when originally thinking about the coolest features I could have.

The wireless trolling motor is hands down the bomb. What some described as overkill with the separate LEDs on the front and rear platforms and also the deck with the dimmer switches was absolutely incredible. With easy access right behind the driver seat, I could light the boat up when needed, dim it down for very subtle lighting, choose to have only 1 set on or all 7. I also have an isolated set of LEDs under the dash with color mode selection that again was a proven value to be able to go with a darker light at times just under the helm with everything else off. It was a ton of work to wire all of it in one by one and running all the wires throughout the boat was no easy task, but experiencing the end goal benefits now it's proven priceless.

It's a tournament ready bass boat with the option at the drop of a dime to be a family recreational sport boat all wrapped into one. What fishing fanatic family man wouldn't want a boat like this right? End cost for me was roughly $6K for parts and I did all the labor with some help from the son and nephew at times.IMG_0621.JPGBass Boat.jpgSOCAL (1).JPGSOCAL (3).JPGSOCAL (4).JPGSOCAL (5).JPGIMG_0619.JPGIMG_0526.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STEVECABASS; 07-18-2019 at 03:58 AM.

5. Member
    Ended up ripping even the control cable (100% wiring) and installed a new shifter too as the old one was just to unreliable even after a good rebuild. The new controller is just awesome and I am so glad I replaced it. Better features, more durable feel, nice adjustments, easy to install pin for pin with original. $200 off ebay.

This was a reply to a past post just to provide some info through the process. thought it would post under the older post from other member but guess not.

6. Member
    General comment... If you are thinking about taking on an old boat, just be aware that it's likely most parts, documentation, ect. just don't exist anymore. You have to have some ingenuity in creating your own solutions for a good deal of repairs or upgrades. I really was solo on this project as I tried my hardest to tap into resources even trying to speak to some old timers who still work at the Ranger factory, but even they couldn't assist where I needed some critical input or help. I don't want to discourage anyone, but if your not prepared for the unexpected, you'll either never get off the ground or give up after some hard sweat and blood has been shed. I was close to calling it quits between the resurfacing/structural work and the rest of it. I was so far off the calculated timeline to finish I would say for anyone planning to do this on a part time basis, plan for a good 4-5 years. Expect there to be challenges at every step. Don't buy supplies in advance for other stages as it's lost money if you never get to it and nobody will care what extras you have invested and waiting to be installed.

Now for the upbeat side of a completed overhaul, once it is done and you have worked out the little unforeseen behaviors or issues, it's a dream come true. It's better than you could imagine. Especially if you have put extra effort in overhauling, extra features and or planned to use it for multiple uses such as a family rec boat. Once the work is done you really want to exploit every opportunity to the fullest. I will be taking this boat out as much as possible with fishing buddies, family and friends. The memories this boat will provide will far exceed the pain and agony it took to get it done. Plans to take it to dozens of local lakes, the delta and I might even be tempted to take it out on the ocean for a calm morning... At least my friends are trying to convince me to lol. I would love to see a but or ling hit the deck!

BTW, with the 13 family and friends that have been on this boat for this first trip, none had any problems with the non-slip surface and bare feet, which really caught me by surprise. I was planning on putting mat down everywhere, but the feed back was no need. On this trip it was 103 on avg and the concern of an unbearably hot deck/platform didn't even come up. That was a real shocker; not sure if it was the color I chose, maybe a constant wet surface from everyone going in and out.

It's TOTALLY AWESOME to be able to pour some soap out, brush it down and spray it real quick and have a spotless clean and dry boat in no time, so I can officially say from experience the removed carpet was well worth it. The mats are easy to throw down if you are concerned about dropping weights or noise sensitivity for fishing. As I get more time out on the water and experience with the boat I will provide more info on my personal experience.

One major thing I just remembered about this trip, is it took me a little while to figure out that a heavy loaded rear will prevent the boat from getting up to speed. I found I had to put a lot of weight towards the front, trim the motor up and slowly work the trim down to get a fast response in speed. With 2-4 people it's not an issue but more than 4 with 4 batteries and filled gas tanks, it's something to remember.
    Last edited by STEVECABASS; 07-18-2019 at 04:44 AM.

7. Member
    Dang!! Come wire my boat!! Are you a retired nuclear submarine engineer? Very clean and tidy.

8. Member
    lol thx. Actually had shoulder surgery in Dec and used the boat to get back into work shape as a field service engineer. electro mechanical equipment. Perfect therapy, made good use of all the spare time and now got a pretty customized boat. Just wish I had a good paint/finish guy to get the outside looking spiffy. That's my last goal.

9. Member
    Probably redundant info, but figured I would provide a list of what the features are and some of the critical work done. - Boat is for sale if anyone is really interested. $15K and must be local.

About Boat Restoration

Carpet removed, deck and platform surfaces stripped, sealed and painted with a high-end non-skid commercial grade material. Purpose was to make clean up and maintenance after use fast and easy while eliminating negatives of carpet such as hook snagging, cleanliness with regards to blood and fish parts not washing out, ect.
    Boat is structurally sound all the way through and was inspected when stripped down. The deck underside had extra reinforcement installed as an upgrade. Deck drain areas were sealed to prevent any underside water damage from occurring.
    Original steering system was mechanical (cables) and that was upgraded to hydraulic system. 100% All new wiring, electronics/gauges and extra added features such as 12V and USB outlets at front and center.

SERVICES AND UPGRADES COMPLETED
    Cleaned and flushed aluminum 12 gal fuel tanks (2 of them), painted with bilge coat paint to match compartment and protect tanks
    New upgraded vertical float fuel senders – eliminates swing style susceptible to mechanical failure
    Removed and cleaned oil reservoir and tank 100% flushed and like new
    Installed all new engine fuel lines to current USCG requirements (alcohol resistance in gas)
    Installed new fuel filter
    New spark plugs
    Rebuilt fuel pump
    Rebuilt carbs
    Rebuilt steering pump
    New steering wheel installed
    New throttle controller and cable harness (LOVE IT NO MORE HASSLE)
    New Mercury gauges (RPM, SPEED, VOLT, PSI, TEMP, TRIM, FUEL)
    New stereo, speakers and upgraded antenna
    All new wiring throughout entire boat
    Spare wires at front panel, helm, power compartment and bilge compartment for any future add on's such as fish finder, spot light ect.
    Two fuse panels, one in power compartment and one under helm both independently protected by dedicated fuses supplied by a bus bar for even power distribution
    Dedicated starter, accessory and trolling motor batteries with new battery mounts
    2-bank dedicated charger for starter and accessory batteries that isolates or combines batteries and charges batteries off motor and also land (Blue Sea System)
    Three bank dedicated charger for trolling motor for 12-36V motor (I have a 12V 55 thrust that works awesome. Spare battery for high speed compressor for toys.)
    External outlets for each charger bank connecting power to chargers while keeping chargers secured and locked up
    New fuel water separator filter with clear bowl and drain port for visible inspection of fuel
    New duel tank fuel selector switch
    LED lighting installed on front and rear platform, deck and inside of all compartments and both live wells including under seats
    A 6 switch panel for independent controls for all lighting (forward platform, rear platform, deck, navigation, gauges livewells and compartments)
    A second 4 switch panel dedicated to switches for under helm LED's, stereo, fish finder, and livewell pump
    Split fuel level switch for duel tank system. Flip up to read port sender and down for other side
    In dash LED charging system status indicator
    High quality and extremely loud horn
    New Hummingbird Helix 5 fish finder wired through a dedicated switch with high end mount
    3 dimmer switches one for each set of deck and platform LED's for custom brightness setting
    New Navigation lights (bases and light posts) plus LED strips along the nose - cant miss this boat coming
    New XI3 hands free/remote trolling motor, 55 lb thrust, 54” shaft, 12V (AWESOME!!!!)
    New Minn Kota Deckhand DH40 motorized anchor system with add on hand control remote (AWESOME!!!!!)
    New 30 lb anchor
    Both trolling motor and anchor are mounted to quick disconnect plates that also have locking anti-theft security feature when at dock for security and peace of mind (AWESOME!!!!!)
    Both trolling motor and anchor system have 3-prong quick disconnect for easy removal – This allows for storing units off boat to extend life, eliminate risk of theft and allow easy cover install/removal
    Front panel has the outlet for the plugs and also a dual purpose disconnect that serves as a switch to isolate battery system and a breaker for electrical safety – NEW just added a switch that controls a 12V and dual USB outlet at the front panel for plenty of charging and power access.
    Tow brackets for pulling tube or other recreational toys or emergency towing mounted on rear corners. (Works GREAT!)
    Folding portable and removable ladder that holds up to 350 lb person that clips onto side of boat (AWESOME)
    Two removable 3-pronged rod holders one on each side of motor on corner of boat platform for having fishing rods out of way and can also be used for trolling. Holders rotate and pivot in all directions.
    New stainless low-profile cleats for docking
    Front Stainless steel railing added around boat to increase add on options for rod holders and other clamp on components and devices such as cutting table, BBQ, camera/video mounts, ect. not to mention easy access for climbing in anywhere around boat.
    Flag mount brackets for 6 ft fiberglass pole and flag, one on each side of boat out of sight with easy access for safety and visibility when anchored and relaxing
    Three brand-new high-end seats. 2 outer bucket seats (high back) have bottom seats that flip up for compartment access. Customized back support plates made of thick high grade gray matching material. Center seat is mounted with a quick disconnect plate that allows it to be removed and interchanged with a built in step/center console when only 1 or 2 people wish to have an easier access and pathway to rear platform or desire to have the compartment for storage with drink holders convenient.
    Under seat new fire extinguisher
    Removable rear view mirror
    Electrical panel on side of helm with 12V port and two USB ports
    Cell phone holder by driver with 2 USB ports
    Compartment lids that have shocks for auto lifting and hold lids up on all compartments
    4 hide away stainless-steel cup holders
    Bilge pump with adjustable timer, manual and auto feature
    Forward and rear livewells with lighting
    One compartment that has the battery chargers, disconnect, fuse protected positive and negative bus bars, 1 fuse panel, 3 dimmer switches for deck and platform lighting and terminal block.
    All new livewell system - plumbing, pump, selector valve and cable, switch, and wiring
    Transom customized with 3 brand-new top-quality bronze through hull fittings that have bronze seacocks (ball valves) inside the boat for lifetime worry free operations. Guaranteed to eliminate any possibility of leak or compartment flooding compared to plastic OEM parts and design.
    Bilge compartment was completely sanded down, sealed and painted with special bilge coat paint. Brand new interior for the most important area of the boat where fuel, water and electricity are all present.
    The bilge compartment only contains batteries, oil reservoir and fuel tanks to maximize access and ability to service as needed. Customized platform that oil tank sits on optimizing space and even allows for a 5 battery or spare fuel tank.
    Chargers and power system located in a dedicated secure compartment that protects electronics and isolates electrical from potential dangers in fuel compartment. Also allows easy access to emergency switch, fuse panel and electrical terminations if testing is needed. The electrical system is mounted on all 4 walls leaving the compartment with large area for storing other items such as lock box, fish finder when not in use, VHF radio, personal items, medical kit, ect.
    Most of the wiring is cable harnessed in two pair to 6 pair wire. Majority of electronics in 10AWG with heat shrink terminal connectors to prevent any corrosion, shorting or failures due to exposure to elements. All wiring is secured with cable tie mounts that were secured using high strength epoxy to prevent separation of mount from surface. Most wires are not visible at all except where going to motor. All wiring to motor was insulated with marine grade heat shrink tube to ensure waterproof, protect from sun exposure and increased protection.
    Under dash and helm all wiring is secured with cable ties and mounts and is not visible unless you lay down under helm.
    Newly charged hydraulic steering fluid
    Side wall 6 fishing rod holder track system (removable rod holders) in case you need a dozen rods on the boat
    Under dash LED system has remote for selecting any color and lighting feature. This is only under the dash. Rest of LED’s are white light.
    Added secondary drain plug to each livewell to drain to bilge when using as dry storage. Saves battery and pump from unnecessary monitoring when deck water flows to wells.

New pop up 3 position bimini (58" tall and extra long)

This is the bulk of the work, but I am sure I left a couple things out, but essentially it's a new boat. Paint isn't perfect, but still looks good overall.

This is a special customized boat for a father who wants to have a tournament capable boat while also being able to entertain the family or group of friends. Happy wife happy life right? This was my trade off to have a bass boat verse a pure recreational ski boat was to be able to accommodate both life styles.

I am incredibly impressed.

Great work...great write up.

Thank you for sharing.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    1st trip out to the local lake with the nephews and niece. Going to take advantage of this boat after all those years of blood and sweat! It was an awesome day where they learned how to work as a team to get the boat unloaded off the trailer and tied up. We pulled out to our fishing spot and I ran through the full set up having them watch and then do their own rods. Taught them the basic knot and a two hook weedless drop shot set up. They loved it. The we drifted the shore line using the trolling motor to keep us perpendicular with the shore and dragged our lines. We ended up with 8 or 9 fish in total all large mouth nothing big and all C&R. They didn't want to go in, but sunset came and we had to get off the lake. It was an awesome evening with my family. Many
    many more to come.Knot Lesson.jpgLeader Lesson.jpgBBA3.jpgBBA2.jpgFish 2 AL.jpgBBA 4.jpgAaron 4th fish.jpgFIsh Scares Brenda.jpgAaron 3rd fish spanking it.jpg

12. Member
    Most boat manufactures use international boat wiring code so the wiring looks more complicated than it is the engine management system should have it's own diagram. Your build is looking good....

13. Member
    Looks complicated but its not. I used the Bluesea schematics for the engine management system so that's all documented by default. The trolling motor wiring is it's own isolated system with it's own dedicated 3 bank charger. The lighting system is definitely more complex in that I added the dimmers, gave everything it's own switch and split it into two fuse panels. I did document all the wiring just to have it as easy to work on and troubleshoot as possible if ever needed. To me the factory wiring was so difficult to follow I wanted to make sure that the wiring I did would be much easier. Thanks for the compliment. With what I want to do with the boat I feel it's complete other than maybe getting the paint all buffed and nice. My hope is if I don't sell it, to use it to make as many memories as possible and not just a rare occasion that it gets used.

14. Member
    If anyone knows somebody in the San Jose Bay Area that is looking to buy my Ranger let me know. I got everything done, been taking it out and it has been fantastic. My family wants to get into ocean fishing, so putting this up for sale or trade to get into the salt life. My email is steve3estrad at gmail. I installed wireless/remote trolling motor and an electric anchor. Life is so nice with the fancy luxury items. Got rod holders around the boat. Fish want to be in the boat so bad they just jump in. This was an awesome experience rebuilding. On to the next project.

15. Member
    Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by 92basshawk View Post
    Dang!! Come wire my boat!! Are you a retired nuclear submarine engineer? Very clean and tidy.
    I though the same incredible job

17. Member
    Super clean looking!

18. Member
    Do you still have it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12