99 comanche 492vs fore deck structure

Want to add a trolling motor tray but not sure of the structure stringers for the foredeck of a 99 492vs. Anyone had a problem with this?

2. Member
    trying to get my friend to get a troller tray for his 492. We'll see if he does, but I'm glad you posted this so I may learn something if we end up doing his.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by procraftokie View Post
    trying to get my friend to get a troller tray for his 492. We'll see if he does, but I'm glad you posted this so I may learn something if we end up doing his.
    Thank you. Would appreciate he info.

4. Member
    If he pops on getting one, then ill try to get you some pics. He hasn't decided yet, but hopefully he will.

5. Member
    There is nothing but foam under the deck. I have a comfortroll in my 1999 492. Install the tray as far forward as possible or you will be into the front tackle compartment.

6. Member
    Thank you. I've been wanting to put one in but have wondered about the unknown under the deck. I called Ranger and really to my surprise they were not sure. That was a first for me as they have always had great responses and very knowledgeable about all their models. Anyway you've made my day. Got something to do this weekend. Also good info about the forward most location. Again thanks.

7. Member
    just installed ez troll in my 98 492. very close to getting into the front compartment but cleared by 1/2".
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Put one in my 97 measure 10 times and drink six beers and cut. It fit between the rod lockers fine. Had to cut small chunks to get out that foam is like a rock

9. Member
    [QUOTE=fatboy1;8436880]just installed ez troll in my 98 492. very close to getting into the front compartment but cleared by 1/2".

10. Member
    fatboy1, thank you for the pics. I've been working way too much to have time to start this. Finished my therapy regarding getting the nerve to cut a rather large hole in the deck. Guess I'm off to the races now. Again thanks to all.

A drywall punch saw works good for cutting foam. For drainage on the tray, you'll either need to dig down to the drain tube in the middle or route the drain hose into a drain some other way. You might get lucky and have it be up high enough that you can access the top of the center tube at the tip of the bow. My 481 has a drain in the front "livewell" that would've worked, but I ended up opting to dig all the way to the tube as some of my foam was wet from the previous owner installing screws through the deck without sealing them.

Long sleeves would help as well. My forearms had slivers of fiberglass in them for weeks afterwards.

Last tip: if you're cutting with a jig saw, sticking the end of a shop vac house on the end of the jig saw as you go helps tremendously with the mess.

Still the best modification I've done to my boat. Good luck!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34