Psalm 35:13
But I, when they were sick—
I wore sackcloth;
I afflicted myself with fasting;
I prayed with head bowed on my chest.

Ezra 8:21 Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from him a safe journey for ourselves, our children, and all our goods.

Luke 5:33-35 And they said to him, “The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink.” 34 And Jesus said to them, “Can you make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? 35 The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.”

Acts 13:2-3 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.

Matthew 6:16-18 “And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

There are quite a bit of writings in the Bible that talk about fasting but it seems there are very few Christians that actually practice it, at least with the ones I know. I am writing specifically about fasting from bodily nourishment (food and liquids) and not about “fasting” from other vices. Growing up in the Methodist Church, I can’t remember any time being taught or encouraged to fast, and it has been much the same in the Lutheran synod I am now a part of. The Lutheran Confessions teach that right fasting is a fruit of repentance commanded by God in the same way as right praying and right alms-giving; that fasting is useful for keeping the flesh in check; and that it is a fine external training in preparation for receiving Holy Communion. My parish pastor did write about the benefits of fasting once on his blog here, but I don’t believe I have heard it mentioned as something we should do and would benefit from in a sermon or during Sunday school. Everything I read about fasting talks about how it can bring the Holy Spirit closer because we see our need. Several articles I read talked about how Jesus did not command that we fast, but the article here states “Jesus kept the fast, and he expects his disciples to fast, to maintain a regular practice of refraining from food and drink. Jesus doesn’t command his disciples to fast; he simply assumes we will: “When you fast.” It goes on to say “as we suffer hunger in faith, hope, and love, the Spirit shapes our hungers into hunger for God.” From an article here “Ultimately, the discipline of fasting is about diminishing the focus on ourselves in order to intensify our focus on God”. I personally can always use some help in focusing on God and my need for God in my life so I am somewhat surprised this practice has faded. Most articles I found such as this one tie fasting to the season of Lent, but I believe that there is not any reason. except a health issue, that this can’t be done and be of benefit any time during the year. Most of my readings talked about fasting with a purpose, such as for SpirituaI awareness, for help making decisions, as an act of worship, etc. This site is about fasting for the purpose of lifting up ones spouse, who is a gift from God. There is a lot of stuff out there from across the denominational board, and I didn’t find anything negative beyond making sure you didn’t affect your health in a bad way and of course doing it for the wrong reasons, which was Jesus’ point in Matthew 6:16-18. Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” (Matt. 5:6). I would encourage anyone to look at fasting as part of their walk with Christ.