New to the Triton Family... need some help with pad to prop measurements

I just bought an 06 Tr-200 with an E-tec 200hp at about 64-65 it starts chine walking really bad... I know I've got to learn to drive the boat but right now my pad to prop is 3 1/2 inches. What do y'all recommend on the height I'm running a 26 pitch prop. Thank you in advance

2. Member
    I would leave it alone, until you learn how to drive, then you can try to get the most out of your rig.

^^^ I agree ^^^
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

I would start at 2 1/2 below pad.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

If it were a Mercury, I would agree with Danrude...but since it's 200 HP ETEC (which I think is slightly below the maximum HP rating of this Hull)...I don't know what height you need.

I can tell you this, mastering the chine can be achieved at any engine height. But, it is much harder (in my opinion) to master the chine if your motor is sitting too low. I was able to learn how to handle the chine walk on a '99 TR18 with the motor sitting about 4" below pad. When I learned more about set-up and raised it to 2-1/2" below pad it was like...Wow, this thing doesn't even chine walk now. Although, you take your hands off the wheel and she would walk like crazy...so, it was still capable of walking but much easier for me to control.

So, I agree with Savage in that you don't really need to worry about fine tuning your height until you have mastered control of chine walking. But, from my experience, if you are too deep with the motor to begin with...mastering the chine may be more difficult.

Again, my experience is with Mercury so I can't say what your exact height should be. But, you can always raise your motor about 1/4" at a time (assuming you have a jackplate) and test run while monitoring your water pressure to make sure you stay above mfg minimum recommended water pressure at WOT. Based on my experience, you should also see the chine walking being a little easier to manage as you move up. So, really at this point, you are adjusting to help with mastering the chine walk with intent of fine tuning later, but as stated earlier....You can learn to master chine for a poor set-up...it's just harder and takes longer.

6. Member
    If it's walking real bad raise it up 1/4 and try it again. If that helped raise it 1/4" and then drive it a while to get used to it. If it's walking real bad you'll never like driving it.