Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2005 294 pro xl porpoising.

Hey guys. Ive asked this same question on the Stratos Facebook page. Figured I'd ask here as well. I've got a 2005 294 pro xl. Just bought it a few weeks ago. Has a 200 yamaha ox66. I'm just wondering where others are running their jack plate. I have a manual 5.5 inch plate on there now. The prop to pad was at 4 inches and I had a bad bow hop. I could run Throttle wide open but could not get even halfway trimmed out before the nose would start bouncing. I moved plate up, 3 inches prop to pad. Didn't get to try and run wide open on the next time out due to rough water. But I did get some small bow hop so I don't think it's gonna be much better. Also it's running about 59 mph barely trimmed out any at all. I'm sure it's gonna run a lot better if I can get the set up right. Thanks.

What prop?

3. Member
    Yamaha vmax series 25pitch

Keep testing with trim position and throttle. We don't know your experience level either so it sounds like a rookie learning to drive fast boats. Please provide your experience and with what boat so we don't insult you.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    No insult taken haha. I've been fishing and running bass boats over 10 years. I can drive out a chine walk. But out of all the boats I've owned I've never had one porpoise while running top end like this. Not really sure what to do to help with it. I can get throttle to wide open and slowly bump trim up. But once I get close to half way trimmed out the bow starts with a slow up and down and then progressively gets worse till I trim down.

6. Member
    No insult taken haha. I've been fishing and running bass boats over 10 years. I can drive out a chine walk. But out of all the boats I've owned I've never had one porpoise while running top end like this. Not really sure what to do to help with it. I can get throttle to wide open and slowly bump trim up. But once I get close to half way trimmed out the bow starts with a slow up and down and then progressively gets worse till I trim down.

Interesting, maybe try a different prop. Maybe something is wrong with the hull on or near the pad. Also maybe a weight distribution issue.
    Last edited by tdt91; 05-22-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    I've thought about the weight distribution. I don't carry anything in my rear compartments except for rags and safety stuff and ropes. Usually only have about 12 rods in the boxes and maybe 30lbs max of tackle in center storage. I wouldnt think that's to much weight forward but I'm not sure. Have thought about going to a 8 inch plate also. Like I said, I've just never had a boat do this before so I don't know which direction to turn.

If that 294 is anything like my R20 it wants a lot of weight in the azz. Give it a try by filling up with fuel and fill the wells.

10. Member
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. Gonna go ahead and order a 8 inch plate also.

Quote Originally Posted by Thensley201 View Post
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. Gonna go ahead and order a 8 inch plate also.
    Might get a set of 2" spacers first to check out the extra setback - much cheaper experiment that a whole jp plus don't have to concern about the the transom bolt holes sealed back up.

Like tdt91 suggested - load weight in the butt to check also. My old 285 performed best with full tanks in the azz. When I ran low on fuel, I'd fill the wells which helped but not as well as the tanks (40 gal) behind the wells. 3-4 mph more.

12. Member
    I've never used spacers. Are they safe? Sorry for a dumb question I've just never used them but I'm all for a cheaper alternative! And if they work would there be any harm in leaving spacers there from now own? I usually run with a full tank of fuel any time I go out.

Nothing 'unsafe' about them that I've ever heard and by that measure, nothing wrong with leaving them permanent. When installing, use a torque wrench to specs and go around the pattern a couple times. Check the torque after running it each time the first couple outings.

I was thinking that full tanks won't be as significant on that boat as my old 285. Mine were way in back whereas yours (I suspect) are under and behind your seats, probably like my 201. Full livewells may have more effect per pound of ballast, being further behind the center of gravity.

I wonder if a prop that carries the front better (bow lift) would be in order - OR, getting with a prop man to tweak what you have.

This is what I refer to (upper right in illustration); http://www.bobsmachine.com/Transom-S...401-xxxxxx.htm
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-24-2017 at 09:32 AM.

25p what? do you know specifically which prop you have? Fill the livewells completely full and see if there is any difference. 5.5" jackplate so i think you have a 6" which is standard on that boat and what 90+% of us run. i would figure out whats causing it before throwing money at things.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

15. Member
    I have a 295. It does not like unbalanced weight, especially forward.

16. Member
    Maybe my Jack plate is considered a 6inch. I measured it and it dang sure looked like the ruler said 5.5 inches. But I've been wrong plenty of times before. And I'm not sure of the diameter on the prop. Just know it's a vmax series 25. I just really don't want to move all my gear to my rear storage compartments. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a front storage compartment. It's gonna be a few weeks before I even get to go out again. I'll try to get the exact prop numbers. Thanks for all the Input.

17. Member
    One thing I have noticed with this boat is it rides really high in the water it seems like. I came out of a 96 201 pro xl and maybe it's just the design of the seats but it seems like the entire boat is lifted high while cruising.

i have all my tackle in my front center box, rods one side and random crap on the other. I would say my front weighs more than my back. unless your talking hundreds of pounds up past the console i don't think that's it. Fill the livewells and the gas tank full and see if it changes. Get a picture of the prop maybe someone can ID it if its not written on the side somewhere.

Didn't mean to insult. You measured it correctly. its not 6 exact inches for a 6" JP, mine is the same way. Was trying to help you get your stats so others can see your set up. Almost every combo boat exists on this board i'm sure someone has the exact same set up so having the info helps.

2005 294 pro xl, 200 Yamaha OX66 6" JP and 25p prop (make to be determined)
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

19. Member
    Like I said before absolutely no insult taken. I appreciate the help. I'm not Interested in the boat running 80mph. I just want it to run correctly and I know it's not right the way it is.
    Prop is a Yamaha vmax series 25-t1 15 1/8
    P2P is set at 3.25"
    And I don't have hundreds of lbs of gear in the front. And
    Its been suggested to fill the live Wells and try it. If the boat stops porpoising after that, what would be my next step? Add weight in the rear. I hate to have to fill my live Wells everything I go fishing. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thensley201 View Post
    Its been suggested to fill the live Wells and try it. If the boat stops porpoising after that, what would be my next step? Add weight in the rear. I hate to have to fill my live Wells everything I go fishing. Thanks again.
    Its not about adding weight - that's simply the means to possibly determine a path of correction. If that makes it better, then that would indicate bow lift would correct the issue since weight in the butt creates a higher bow. That can then be changed by prop work (cup) on the tips of the prop blades - or - additional setback of the motor will change the angle of the hull (bow up). At least that's my thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast