Thread: Ranger 487vs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger 487vs...

What can anyone tell me about this boat? The good and bad? What would be a good price to pay for a 95 model with a 200efi on back?

2. Member
    You won't find too many complaints about the 400 series boats...well, the rod locker length maybe.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsbylander View Post
    You won't find too many complaints about the 400 series boats...well, the rod locker length maybe.
    So they are held in as high of regard as the 461/2 and 481/2? Seems I can't find as much talk or information about the 487 when I search online.

I have one and as stated by grimsbyander you can only get 7' rods in the locker with out modification. Some people have cleaned the foam out in the locker were the tips go and can get longer rods. Its not a speed demon boat but fishes great and is easy to drive. I would consider repowering some day because I like the boat so well. The 200 EFI is a work horse that drinks more gas than some motors but always starts.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    I have one and as stated by grimsbyander you can only get 7' rods in the locker with out modification. Some people have cleaned the foam out in the locker were the tips go and can get longer rods. Its not a speed demon boat but fishes great and is easy to drive. I would consider repowering some day because I like the boat so well. The 200 EFI is a work horse that drinks more gas than some motors but always starts.

What do you get speed wise? So no overall regrets or known issues with this model? Kind of stinks of the rod locker space because of flipping stick but a person can make due if needed.

6. Member
    I had a 488vs which is the same boat but dual console. It was one of my favorite
    boats. Rock solid and fished extremely well. I had a 150 and could only get about
    52 out of her. They fish well in rough water and are built like a tank. As far as price
    look around on for sale sites and see what they are bringing. Good luck.

7. Member
    My dad had one with a 1994 200 EFI and it would run 60-63. Boat is rock solid and is a great fishing platform. I also had a 1991 481V with a 175 and it was an awesome boat as well. As others have said, only 7' rods in the lockers though.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    In fair condition you could expect to pay $7-10K, depending on electronics. If it's really good condition you may have to shell out up to $17K for that 22 year old boat. The 400 series boats are (arguably) the best to ever roll off the line in Flippin. If they're in great condition they bring top dollar!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

9. Member
    Shape I would say isn't terrible but isn't great. Gouges and scrapes expected with age of boat that could be repaired with marine tex. Biggest concern is the chewed up skeg and the fact when it was started the EFI didn't really pee out of the pee hole unless revved up. That and I would basically be buying a hull, motor and trailer. Not much for electronics and such.

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    What do you get speed wise? So no overall regrets or known issues with this model? Kind of stinks of the rod locker space because of flipping stick but a person can make due if needed.
    63 was the best I had and that's with no jack plate or tweaking I'm happy with that. Cant think of any issues, another good thing was when I put my side scan on running the wires to the back was a breeze bunch of room down the sides to run the fish tape and I even added a 3rd battery for 36 volts right in the middle were the spare prop was suppose to go.

11. Member
    I have a 1995 487 with a 1996 Merc 200 EFI, extended deck, GPS 61 mph with full load. I bought it a year old, was Connie Hills demo boat. I still have it and she has never let me down. I have run it in very rough water on Lake Erie . Cant say enough good about it. The cons are the rod lockers and cable steering which I have upgraded to hydraulic.

12. Member
    Single axle trailer or dual? If it's dual that would add to the price. I know several guys with a 487vs on the single axle trailer and they wish they had the dual axle.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Ard View Post
    Single axle trailer or dual? If it's dual that would add to the price. I know several guys with a 487vs on the single axle trailer and they wish they had the dual axle.
    Dual

14. Member
    Well we have come to the agreed price of $5500 assuming the motor and everything checks out at mechanics.

15. Member
    If the motor checks out, sounds like a good deal. Some attention to cosmetics will be in order but, you will rally enjoy that boat. Congrats

16. Member
    Ya. My biggest concern other than the motor is the skeg. Man is that thing ugly looking. Not sure on best route to go on fixing it.

17. Member
    That's a minor fix when your're talking $5500 for a boat. I have one as well and like Ohioan, I fish Erie most of the time...the east end. It handles the big water quite well and though it's no speed demon, it's a very stable platform. I will say, I spoke to a guy that put a new 200 Pro XS on his and the speed even surprised him. As a comparison, the 487 is about 300 lbs lighter that a 519vx of the same length.

18. Member

Do do you think a person could squeak a 7'2" rod in there? I have 4 of those which would be nice to put in the locker.

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Do do you think a person could squeak a 7'2" rod in there? I have 4 of those which would be nice to put in the locker.
    don't think so, not without some modification. My 7'2 will not go in there

20. Member
    don't think so, not without some modification. My 7'2 will not go in there
    thats a little disappointing but I will make due.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast