Will AGM work for me?

I posted this question on the mercury motor forum and should have posted it here..oops.

I have a 2002 Mercury 175 EFI motor with a belt drive on the top of the motor driving the alternator (pretty sure). from what I have read on here I am ok to use an AGM battery on this system correct? The reason I ask is that I have noticed my humminbird fishfinders turning off when I crank the motor, real pain in the butt when you are moving from one spot to the next. The battery I am currently using is an Auto Craft marine starting battery from Advance Auto M24-3, it has 800 CCA, 1000 MCA and 135 reserve capacity. The motor seems to turn over fine, however I wouldnt call it real "snappy" and I noticed the volts drop to around 10 when I crank the motor and thats when the fishfinders die out. I just put this motor on my boat, the last motor was a Merc 115 elpto and the battery seemed fine for it.

After some research on here I think I need a larger battery maybe a 29 or 31 with a little more reserve capacity.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    Yea sounds like you just need a larger battey

if it takes a while to start, and this still happens, how about moving the power to the tm batteries

3. Member
    Yes, the bigger AGM will be a good battery of choice in your situation.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Ok sounds like that is what Im going to do. On a side note Advance auto tested the battery and said it was a good battery.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI