Unhappy Almost Fell Over!

I'm getting close to my 20 hr. Oil change and I went to the Yamaha site to check on some prices. Wow I am so sorry I bought a Yamaha! Can you guys tell me a better place to buy maintenance parts like filters and oil! Are any of you using 10w-30 oil other then Yamaha oil?
    Last edited by RDOCK; 05-22-2017 at 09:36 AM.

2. Banned

I just checked Sim's prices--- I dont think those prices are high for oil and filters.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I just checked Sim's prices--- I dont think those prices are high for oil and filters.
    Not until you pay the shipping and handling.

5. Member
    I checked Sims price. About $120 to the door for a years worth of servicing is not bad. If anybody thinks that price is ridiculous, they are in the wrong hobby.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I get mine from Sims also.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    I checked Sims price. About $120 to the door for a years worth of servicing is not bad. If anybody thinks that price is ridiculous, they are in the wrong hobby.
    I usually suggest that anyone concerned with high marine prices should own an airplane for at least a year. It will then seem as if they are giving marine parts away for free.

Dealer only charged me $150, labor included.

9. Banned
    My F150 Yamaha has performed flawlessly for the 5 years I've had it. At 20 hours, I changed oil and went with Rotella universal (diesel) oil as it does a great job on non-catalytic gas engines and is inexpensive.

What I found strange is that the oil filter is not slated to be changed at 20 hours--but I changed it anyway. In cross referencing the oil filter on Fram.com, I figured out the F150 uses the same oil filter as a Ford Focus 2.0 engine. And high quality oil filters are available everywhere for far, far less than the Yamaha filter that's just been painted black.

I'm now running Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) in 10W30 weight. Reading BobIsTheOilGuy.com, it's a far superior oil to plain old Mobil 1 and it does a great job in marine use.

I only have to go to a Yamaha dealer for a couple of $1 paper gaskets on the lower unit drain plugs and a crush washer on the crankcase drain. And I usually use Mercury lower unit grease because Walmart sells it.

Total cost of 20 hour oil change--less than $50--and time spent was 1/2 hour.

10. Member
    It is worth noting that prices will differ because of what is done also. Engine oil and lower unit oil are the only 2 required items to be replaced at 20 hours. Add in how the wrench hand uses their time. It is roughly $60 for the minimum 20hr service supplies form sim Yamaha.

11. Member
    Boats.net
    2001 2200v Pathfinder, 150 HPDI,
    Helix 9si on the console and a 998c HD SI on my iPilot Riptide
    Diablo Amigo Kayak

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    My F150 Yamaha has performed flawlessly for the 5 years I've had it. At 20 hours, I changed oil and went with Rotella universal (diesel) oil as it does a great job on non-catalytic gas engines and is inexpensive.

What I found strange is that the oil filter is not slated to be changed at 20 hours--but I changed it anyway. In cross referencing the oil filter on Fram.com, I figured out the F150 uses the same oil filter as a Ford Focus 2.0 engine. And high quality oil filters are available everywhere for far, far less than the Yamaha filter that's just been painted black.

I'm now running Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) in 10W30 weight. Reading BobIsTheOilGuy.com, it's a far superior oil to plain old Mobil 1 and it does a great job in marine use.

I only have to go to a Yamaha dealer for a couple of $1 paper gaskets on the lower unit drain plugs and a crush washer on the crankcase drain. And I usually use Mercury lower unit grease because Walmart sells it.

My kinda guy right here ^^^^^^^^

You can't own a boat and be afraid to change your own oil or do other piddling maintenance like that. You're just peeing away "dolla billz, ya'll" if you do. Extra man-card points if you figure out how they're gettin' ya by rebranding old ford parts and calling them "premium".

WTG Bamaman!
    Need a new bow step pad for your boat? Do what I did!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=712307

Are your boat seats trashed? Fix them yourself and save $1000!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=754944

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

I tried to cross ref. my oil filter on Fram and it came up with nothing. My Yamaha oil filter # is 69j-13440-0300. Is that mobile oil full synthetic. I thought I saw somewhere that it was better to use just regular 10w30! My motor is a 2016 150 SHO. VF150LA
    Last edited by RDOCK; 05-25-2017 at 02:17 PM.