Question removing surge brakes from single axel trailer

can anyone give me any info. trailer is 2008 triton

2. Member
    I disconnected my brake lines and changed hubs haven't had any problems heard if it came with brakes it is illegal to remove what they don't know won't hurt but I pull a friend's boat and can tell a difference when stopping

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton bass View Post
    I disconnected my brake lines and changed hubs haven't had any problems heard if it came with brakes it is illegal to remove what they don't know won't hurt but I pull a friend's boat and can tell a difference when stopping
    anything up front on hitch

4. Member
    Did nothing on hitch. I bought my boat used and not sure if it ever worked before I got it

5. Member
    You should notremove the brakes. There is an electric wire that locks them out when backing up. That said, there is always a system to override that sysytem if it fails. If the trailer tongue slides in and out to operate the brake master cylinder, a strategically drilled hole with a bolt in it will stop that from happening, for backing up, of course, unless you forget to take it back out. Then the brakes won't work at all.

6. Member
    removed calipers welded up actuator noticed some difference but not much thanks for info

7. Member
    I was thinking about removing my surge brakes as well on my 2005 nitro trailer, decided to rebuild them instead...best decision EVER. My front truck brakes would smell like burnt brakes after towing my boat over hill and dale, once I got my trailer surge brakes working correctly that went away and the whole rig stops so much better. On these heavy fiberglass boats I wouldn't consider towing brakeless.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

8. Member
    I just removed mine yesterday. After sitting on the side of the road with a frozen caliper. I am officially done. I have a single axle towing with a Tundra, so it shouldn't be too bad. I replaced both hubs with the Vortex hub kits. I left the brake lines intact and just capped them off. I did drill a hole in my tongue, slid some bolts thru it to keep it secure. maiden voyage today. Let's see how it goes!

9. Member
    States have differing laws on when brakes are mandatory on towed trailers.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

10. Member
    Courts are a bit different. If you disable a safety feature, you will always be liable for any damage that ensues...

And your insurance company will likely take the SAME position...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Member
    Compromising a brake system is illegal in all 50 states.