golf is frustrating fun

Been playing a good bit this spring, but just can't put 18 together. Either play the front or the back ok, but can't get both. I don't want much, just want to be shooting in the 80's.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

2. Member
    I'm down to only loosing one or two balls now....maybe I will get in the 80's too!!
    :)

Oh, the most frustrating sport I have ever played. I hang in the mid 80's now, only took 4-1/2 years to get there. I have never had a complete game where I was hitting all my clubs well. The good news, if one part of my game is off, the other part picks up the slack. Biggest problem I am having right now is distance control. I may hit my PW 120 yards 3 times in a row, then hit it 140 yards 3 times in a row.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

4. Member
    All the golfers that can put it all together play on TV. The rest of us struggle with this frustrating game. I play off a 10 handicap. A few weeks ago I started shanking my wedges. I can't figure it out so am taking a few lessons this week with the club pro. Hopefully that will help my struggling game.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    All the golfers that can put it all together play on TV. The rest of us struggle with this frustrating game. I play off a 10 handicap. A few weeks ago I started shanking my wedges. I can't figure it out so am taking a few lessons this week with the club pro. Hopefully that will help my struggling game.
    Most people
    if they start shanking, they are keeping there weight on their back foot at impact. Focus on transferring your weight to your front foot and then rotate through

6. Member
    The frustration ended at least for today. Shot a 77. First time breaking 80 this year

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Most people
    if they start shanking, they are keeping there weight on their back foot at impact. Focus on transferring your weight to your front foot and then rotate through
    EXACLY!! Try this drill that I was told several years ago. Hit about 5-6 wedges standing on your front foot with your rear foot up on your toes. Make full swings.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

8. Member
    Thanks for the tip on fixing the dreaded shank. It wasn't there the last round but it felt like it was lurking in the shadows.

It seems the more I play the more I love it. I need distance control on chipping. Like under 100 yds. I have to make myself slow down the swing, and then I have to SLOW down the swing.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

to add to the thread...go out Friday and I swear it was like the first time I ever played...grinded like crazy and shot a 103. Go out Monday and back to normal for me and shot an 84..heck if I know..
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

One thing that really helped me lower my scores is I try to play with guys that are better than me, it seems to help my focus.
    GO DAWGS

I played in a little benefit 4 man scramble yesterday and it was a story of highs and lows. The lows, I only hit my driver past the women's tees once. Only made solid contact with it once. Everything else I was hitting off the heel of the club and it went about 20 yards straight left. I've never had that issue before, don't know what was causing it except they told me I was swinging really steep. I had thought I had started to figure it out as I was hitting it the best I had ever hit it a couple weeks ago. On the positive note, I was absolutely smoking my irons. I was hitting them better than I ever have before. We had one hole where my three teammates all hit bad drives so I swallowed my pride and put my driver away to try and put one in play. Took out my 6 iron and smashed it. Straight as an arrow and long. From then on I just hit my 6 iron off the tee. On 18 the card said it was a 407 yard hole, we used my drive with the 6 iron and when I lasered our second shot, it was 165 yards to the flag. Now the next time I go play I will hit my driver straight and won't be able to hit my irons. Like you said it's the most frustrating game in the world. Sometimes I don't know why I pay to play it because all it makes we want to do is drink sometimes. I think that is why it's so addicting though because I can't master it.

I've been playing a bit better. Crushing my driver 250 yds consistent. Slice it once in a while. I've gotten a routine and a grip I do consistent to help me hit it straight.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Might be standing to close
    to
    the ball

15. Member
    I am a great 9 hole player, ever since playing 9 hole competitive high school golf matches I never have been able to really put 18 together. I am a 13 handicap but usually the front side is dramatically better than the back. Like most things in this game I am sure it is 98% mental.

This week I managed to shoot under 90, shot 44/44. Was nice to get that 3 year monkey off my back. Been driving the ball pretty well, thinking of getting my old irons back out. Feel like my swing speed is close to where it used to be, and I always liked those irons. Switched when I started playing again after a long layoff, just was easier to hit newer ones. Know I'm going to throw my old stiff shaft driver in the bag, just to see if I can hit it again. It is a smaller head driver, but curious to see if I'm still hitting it dead right or if I can hit it again.

Short game killed me yesterday, so spent some time working on it after the round. Would like to be under 85 by next month, and feel like I should be with the way I've been driving the ball.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere