Question DRY TROLLING BATTERIES!

I guess I didn't check my deep cycle batteries water level in awhile... Today I pulled the cell covers off all 3 batteries in my 36 volt system and found water below the plates, Yikes! Anyway batteries are only a year in a half old so I am hoping that adding distilled water (almost a full gallon between 3 batteries) to each cell and charging it on my Minnkota PC440 charger will fix them up. My biggest question is, Should I set my charger to deep Equalization mode at this point? I have already completely charged the batteries and was wondering if now doing a equalization would be a good idea?

2. Banned
    Does the charger have a de-sulfating cycle?
    A gallon is a ton of water for three batteries. Don't be surprised if the batteries don't make it through a full day anymore.

3. Member
    It has a DEEP EQUAILIZATION mode. And I ran it for 2 days back to back with the batteries dry (I didn't know at the time) and I had plenty of power. Not sure how they will be after adding water and charging. Here is for hoping!

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Your charger may have already been overcharging because of the low electrolyte. I'd pass on equalization unless a hydrometer test shows you need it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Your charger may have already been overcharging because of the low electrolyte. I'd pass on equalization unless a hydrometer test shows you need it.
    Ok, sounds good. Hope they will be ok but I have my doubts!

6. Member
    A gallon is a tooooooon of water.

just curious if your just filled to cover the plates and not to the top

7. Member
    This is something I know I'm going to forget to check at some point.....just not in the habit of checking battery water levels at all with everything in the current vehicles maintenance free.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger198700 View Post
    A gallon is a tooooooon of water.

just curious if your just filled to cover the plates and not to the top
    Yes just over the plates. But FYI there isn't much room over the plates, and for the record your supposed to fill about an 1/8" over the plates.

9. Member
    Yea I've just send people fill to the top before

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Yes just over the plates. But FYI there isn't much room over the plates, and for the record your supposed to fill about an 1/8" over the plates.
    In my days of being a professional battery charger monitor (now there's something you need a degree for) 3/8" was the target depth above the plates. If you buy a service station filler it will automatically limit the amount. A gallon's a lot, but that went into 18 cells.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    In my days of being a professional battery charger monitor (now there's something you need a degree for) 3/8" was the target depth above the plates. If you buy a service station filler it will automatically limit the amount. A gallon's a lot, but that went into 18 cells.
    Yes it was almost a gallon between all 3 batteries which would be 18 cells. Hope they will be ok. If not lesson learned the expensive way!