BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Pontoon selection advice

Looking into buying a used pontoon boat for the family. I had planned/hoped on getting a new jet boat soon, but after my camping trip this past weekend I think I need to keep my trusty jet boat for the river and get something different for on my local lakes. A pontoon seems perfect. Nice stable platform for me and the family plus some, can still do all kinds of fishing off of it, pull tubes or a skier, it can have a top to keep some shade, or just cruise around playing some tunes. I'd imagine they would do well in rough water.

Any brands to give favor to or particularly avoid? I'll be looking for used, or maybe even "abused" and rennivte it.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Jim whats your price point. They can range from 4K to 80K.

If your wanting to stay in the less expensive range they are all the same, Just look for a Good engine, and nice interior!!!
    15K or less. Maybe even at a higher price!

Some engines have a history, I know the Mercury 4 stroke 115 have some issues, not sure if it all years or just a range. So like stated get a good engine and interior that ice clean and the layout you like!!!

3. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Hickory,

I don't have a budget. I'm not looking to really buy right now, I'm just a researcher, trying to figure out what I want and don't want and how much its going to cost me, and then nailing down a budget and saving the money, etc from there.

Forced to put a budgetary number on something, I would say 15 ish on a water ready boat, or 5 on a gut job. As always, budget can increase for something I really fall in love with. Hoping to make this a reality for next summer perhaps? Like I say, just in the preliminary research stage right now

4. Member
    I'm kinda like you at the moment too Jim. Just doing research and trying to get and idea what I do and don't want.
    -
    One little thing that keeps catching my eye on some models, is on the pontoons that have the 2 bench style seats the same exact size in the front; just opposite each other........when they have that angled, rear armrest area. So if someone is laying down while you're moving along; 2 people can lay down on those bench style seats; feet forward and backs kinda propped up.
    -
    the rear facing ones are even cooler; but those are usually on boats WAY outta my price range.
    -

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Well I would first look at the layouts you like and go from there. There are some really cool layouts that don't fit the typical Pontoon boats now but they are pushing 60-90K
    Not to say you can come up wth a layout that you can buy the furniture and redo an older hull.
    Just shop around and check out the local Craigslist and when you find what you want look outside your area for the same boat design!!!

6. Banned
    I have had pontoons since 1985, and carefully monitor trends. I went from a 24 ft. 2 toon boat with 115 hp 2 stroke Yamaha to a Bennington 24 ft. tritoon with lifting strakes and a Yamaha F150. My boat tops out at 40 mph and it's very seaworthy and roomy.

I prefer Benningtons, Manitou, Harris and Premier brands. There are another dozen brands that are also really good. The most popular brands will have 3-4 models of boats that run from nice to ridiculously plush. And prices also run from reasonable to ridiculous when you get into 300 up and high performance hulls.

Everybody with a pontoon/tritoon says to buy the biggest motor you can afford that the hull is rated for.