New 721 Arriving Soon - Welcome Any Advice from Owners

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those of you that helped out with the carpet color question I posted. I am not too far away from my 2018 721 coming in, so I wanted to reach out for any advice from the 721 (or other Phoenix) owners out there. I am currently in an eighteen foot Pro Craft and I am thrilled to be getting into a bigger boat and not getting my teeth rattled in rougher water. My new baby will have a 250 Pro XS, dual 8 foot power pole blades, Atlas hydraulic jack plate, padded deck, padded cooler, trailer shocks, xl bow step, channel trailer, and networked Helix G2Ns. I will gladly take any pointers folks have for learning to run the boat, maintaining everything I will have, or general guidance on keeping everything looking good. I am also on the fence about props. The dealer I'm working with says the 25 Fury is what they usually put on them, but I can swap that for a 26 Fury or a few other props if I'd like. I'm leaning towards the 26 Fury as my primary prop and picking up a 4 blade (Bravo or Fury 4) for the rougher days or when I have two buddies in the boat for fun fishing days. After draining the extra money in my account on the boat, it may be a short while before I can grab a 4 blade. With myself plus 2 others and gear, do you all think that would be too much for a 26 Fury? For what it's worth, when I have 3 of us in the boat, I won't have any water in the livewells and probably less than a 1/2 tank of gas. I'm thinking there wouldn't be much difference in weight between 3 folks and gear versus full wells and a lot more gas. I just want to make sure I get the right prop from the start.

Now I just have to survive the last bit of waiting, which is the hardest part of ordering a boat.
    Last edited by Ndpatriot; 05-22-2017 at 06:42 AM.

I'd think a 26 maybe a tad bit much, especially in the summer months. A 25 will net you mid to upper 70's around 2.625-2.750 PTP with a decent load. If you go 26, I'd imagine you'll need a 25 for better heavy performance in the heat.

Congrats on the rig!! Make sure you show her off to us when she's home!!

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    If you are only going to have one prop for a while I suggest you stay with the 25 Fury
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

The only reason to go with a 26 fury is top end speed. The 25 will carry a load better and have better performance in tournaments but it's barely noticeable. On average my 26 is 1-2 mph faster with the same load and conditions as the 25. If you don't care about running 78 vs 76 then go with the 25.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Member
    I run 26 year round. I tried a 25 on my 721 and it was about 3 mph slower. Personally, the 26 Fury is my best prop and you saying having a 4 blade for the rough days, it probably a real good idea. I always thought about that too.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdboatman View Post
    I run 26 year round. I tried a 25 on my 721 and it was about 3 mph slower. Personally, the 26 Fury is my best prop and you saying having a 4 blade for the rough days, it probably a real good idea. I always thought about that too.
    I see the same thing as others on here. I have tried a few 25s and they were all 2+ mph slower, although they ran 200 more rpms. My issue is that my 26 doesn't run enough rpms now that it's getting warmer out. The speed is good, but I run 5700+ alone (77 mph) and 5600+ with 2 people (74-75 mph) no matter the jackplate setting. When it was cooler, I ran 5800+ alone (up to 78.8 mph) and 5700 with 2 (75-76). If you work out the prop slip, my prop is hooking up extremely well. What are you other guys with 26s seeing?

Either way, the 26 performs better for me, even if it doesn't have as many rpms.

I am thinking about taking a 26 that I found cheap and having it turned down to a 25.5 and B&B it to see what happens. If I get it done, I will post results on here.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

7. Member
    Get a clear wrap to protect it before it ever hits the water

8. Member
    I finally got to run my 721 a bit this weekend, what are you guys setting your Atlas jackplate at for best top end? I know there are variables with load, live wells, fuel, but overall, what setting works best for you guys?
    I have been amazed at speed, handling, ride, comfort, etc.

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Your gauge may differ from some depending what hole the engine is mounted in. It's helps to set the gauge on a number like 12 the measure your prop to pad then you can easily compare to others.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com