1995 200 2.5 EFI want accelerate

Im new to this site and need some help. I have a question to ask about my 1995 2.5 200 EFI Mariner, serial 0D224266 number The motor cranks and runs fine, new powerhead 2 years ago. When i try to accelerate the motor blogs down. It will do this for anywhere from 15 seconds to a few minutes but will eventually take off and run like new. It did this back a few months ago while my brother was using the boat. He took it to a Mer dealer that i was not familiar with, he was fishing out of town. They said the fuel pump pressure was low., I or him don't know what or how it was fixed. He picked it up and headed back to the water and it did the same thing half the time he accelerated. So it was not a complete fix, maybe no improvement. It does it just about every time now, but like i said earlier it will always eventually accelerate and take off. Im no mer tech but do have machanical skills. I have hear the trigger coil will cause this, but will it do it intermittently. Any info will help. Thanks
    Last edited by CajunRebel; 05-22-2017 at 07:27 PM.

2. Banned
    I would start with a complete check of the fuel system, then plugs, and then the electrical system. If you don't know how or understand each system of the motor I recommend finding a real good certified Merc Mechanic. I have a 1995 2.5xri and these are great motors when they are cared for correctly.

3. Member
    I have the same motor and it did the same thing. Turned out to be the power packs. However it could be a ton of other things. Best to follow the troubleshooting procedures in the factory manual.

4. Member
    Pretty sure not fuel issue but I'll keep working on it till I get it figured out one way or another. Thinks for input. Just tired of taking it in and not getting fixed right , gets expensive very fast.

5. Member
    Thinks for power pack advice. Is there any one else out there that fixed this type of problem by changing out power pack. Thanks again.

6. Member
    I had the same problem with a 1997 Marnier 175 EFI. Mine turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator, took 2 months get one. Hope you get it fixed soon.

7. Member
    Thanks again, was hoping for 5 or 6 people fixing this problem with the same solution but guess not. I guess just to many variables come into play. I'm just going to take it to a Mer tech and hope he can fix it right. I'll post the results.

Check you ECU.

I chased a problem like this for a full summer, mine would do it randomly so not 100% it is the same, but sounds similar. Get a known good ECU and hook it up. Easy thing the check.

if it is the ECU you can get it fixed. Simon Motorsports is who did mine, I think there is another guy in the South that fixes them too.

9. Member
    Thanks again for the info, Im just going to bite the bullet and take it to the shop. Im not that technical or knowledgeable on the electrical systems. To expensive to guess and part swap.

ECU is an easy fix, but tough to figure out. Sounds like the fuel drivers from your ECU are bad. If your mechanic has a good ECU to try that is an easy fix.

Hopefully you get it sorted out soon. I agree, throwing parts at gremlins can get expensive!!