Need help with ordering Sabre FTD advantage elite package.

I think this will be a 2018 when ordered but I don't think anything is changing. I will be owning this boat for a minimum of 8-10 yrs. My first question is will the Humminbird helix 10 mega gen2n mount in the console. My second question is which outboard outboard, Mercury 150 4s or Pro Xs 175. My last question should I get the grap pole and step. Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    I am not sure of the Helix 10, but I believe it will mount on the new consoles.
    As far as the Engines, long term the 4 stroke will be more reliable hands down. The 175 Pro Xs will carry a load better and be a few mph faster. The 150 four stroke will still be a mid 60's boat as far as speed.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Agree with what has been said already. I would definitely get the step and grab post. It is invaluable to me!
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

I have the Helix 7 in my '17 FTD AE and it fits just fine...it appears that it has a bit more room, so the 10 might work. I have read that the 9 and 10 are the same physical size. I've got another 7 on the bow.

Definitely get the pole and steps, especially if you've got any age on you, but even if you're young, it is very nice when launching and loading the boat by yourself.

Get the LED package on the trailer and the backup lights. Mine is a single axle and it's fine. An upgrade to the trolling motor won't hurt either. I run a Minn Kota Fortrex 80. I got the step box instead of the middle seat and really like it.

I put a Yamaha 175 SHO on mine...it's a match made in heaven. Nothing wrong with the Mercury, but my dealer is a Yamaha dealer. Running a 24 Tempest Plus, still breaking the engine in and learning to drive the hull, but have seen 67+ alone with a full tank and all my tackle. Once I learn the boat, I feel sure it will hit 70. Hole shot with my setup is 2-3 seconds. The 175 XS will probably be 3-5 mph faster than the 4 stroke, but 4 strokes are the future of outboards, IMO.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Don't know if the 10 will fit in the new console. Definitely get the pole and step on the trailer and if possible get a tandem axle trailer. I have a 2012 Sabre FTD w/175 Pro Xs and love it.
    Best speed I have seen is 70.9.

8-10 years I'd get a four stroke. 100% get the step and grab pole and dual axle if storing it is not an issue. 9 and 10 Helix are same size in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RipNLips View Post
    Don't know if the 10 will fit in the new console. Definitely get the pole and step on the trailer and if possible get a tandem axle trailer. I have a 2012 Sabre FTD w/175 Pro Xs and love it.
    Best speed I have seen is 70.9.
    This. Have the pole, step, and tandem axle on my 07 FTD. My 150 Opti is still going strong, and trouble free. I would agree the 4 stroke is a safer bet over 10 years, but won't hesitate to get a 175 XS if I repower. The Pro XS has a stellar track record if maintained properly.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    How long is this boat with swing tongue and a merc fourstroke? Need real world #'s as im considering one if I can fit it in my garage.

The brochure numbers on line should be accurate on length. For the consideration on the 175 Pro XS or 150 four stroke, we would go 175 Pro XS since you plan on keeping it about 8 years, which means 10-12. That's normal age on a new rig timing to replacement. Add a Mercury warranty for sound mind and hold onto it!

I dont think the new console on the sabre will let anything much bigger than the helix 7 fit in there. A pair of the new 7's would be nice with a ethernet connection. Might flip though some photos on bass cat boats by serial numbers page and see if you notice any larger graphs. As for the order, get the grab post and step, I would also add the mooring cleats. The 4 stroke is good on that boat mine would push about 62 and probably had a little more. Those boats store easy in a 20x20 garage angled slightly. Im actually squishing my caracal in the garage now diagonally
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

11. Member
    Since you are keeping that long, as electronics are updated often, I would do a BBT (or other) mount on the console to alleviate hole in dash, so they can be updated as money is available.

12. Member
    My bad, for some reason I thought the new Sabre came with the new style console like the PII.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

The new Sabre Advantage Elite does have the dash assembly that allows large graphs. The Vision model has the smaller dash assembly.

14. Member
    So I'm just making sure on the length. Is the Sabre storage length really 3 inches shorter than the Margay with the swing tongue? That's what I'm seeing in the catalog online.

An update on an older thread about whether the Helix 10 will fit in the '17 Sabre FTD Advantage Elite console. It will. Here's a pdf file to show what will fit in each boat.

http://www.bcbdealers.com/forms/elecConsole.pdf
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

16. Member
    I would suggest an aftermarket graph mount (BBT or otherwise) for the console. That allows for easier electronic upgrades as the years go by. And a 175 Yamaha SHO, if you can find one.

If you're having to make choices between the 175 and other goodies - go with the 175. I have a 150 and have loved it, but you're always looking for that other 1-2mph that comes easily with the additional HP without the headaches. Most of the "add-on's" are relatively easy to live without. The HP makes itself known on every run. That's one add on you won't later regret.

18. Member
    I actually just chose the opposite and went 150 with networked Helix 7s. But this is my first boat, and i dont fish tournaments, so I won't be running it fast often. Sherm also recommended the additional bilge pump.

Here's my order. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Screenshot_20180113-161956.jpg
    Last edited by mrbraq; 01-13-2018 at 03:22 PM.

19. Member
    I bought one of the first Sabre FTD's from Sherm. It had a 150 Opti that turned out to be a bad one. Within 10 hours Merc made it right and I ended up with a 175 ProXS. The extra 25 ponies makes a big difference on that hull! If you plan on keeping it long I'd go with the 175. I may even consider a 175 four stroke if it's available and you have a good local mechanic. If not my 175 Pro XS was good. That combo was like a go-kart on the water. Even with me and Sherm in the boat it would run in the high 60's with a tournament load. Mine was a dual console. I had the pole added up front after I bought the boat. I had one on my Cougar as well. I am not sure why EVERY bass boat doesn't come with one??

If you go with either Merc I'd also get the full Merc gauge package if it's still offered. I have the Merc Tach on my current 115 ProXS 4S. You can see almost anything going on with your engine.

Seems like my Sabre FTD with the 175 and the standard jack plate took a hair over 20' straight back in the garage. It's one of the shortest 18'ers one the market sitting on the trailer. Even my current RT188 aluminum boat takes more room straight back without a jack plate.

I currently have a 115 ProXs 4S and believe the 4S is the future. I just don't think you can compare the 1504S and 175 ProXs on this hull. I used to cruise at the same speed my 150 ran at WOT watching my gauges tell me I was getting great MPG. Everything was hooked up through my GPS. May not be important if you only fish small small bodies of water?

If you can get a Yamaha SHO 175, it's a really good match with the Sabre FTD AE. The price over a SHO 150 was not significant at all. I think the price difference between the Merc 150 XS and 175 XS is a good bit more.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80