Thread: Livewell Help

Livewell Help

Need a lesson in livewell opeartion. Have a new to me 2007 Z20. Boat has the manual livewell switch with RECIRC on the left, EMPTY on top, and AUTO on the right. Even though I found the manual online and think I understand how to use it, it always fills with water no matter what I want it to do. My guess is there is a flapper that is stuck or not working. Does that sound right? Is this a common problem and easy to fix? Thanks.

2. Member
    Look at the Flo-rite website for info. Sounds like either rebuild time or new valve.

https://flow-rite.com/sites/all/file...ol_systems.pdf

3. Member
    Thanks for posting the Flow Rite chart as I had the same questions. I have not operated the 2000 Ranger 519 that I just bought and this is a big help.

4. Member
    thanks, think its a common problem, my 2007 Z20 same problem. now just leave it in auto, cause when in recirc livewells drain on long runs. guess either fix or time for a new boat!!

5. Member
    Recirc should not let any water in or out. Empty will allow water in while in the lake or wherever. Empty will also drain the livewells as you exit the lake, etc. Auto will fill as you enter the lake, hold water while on plane or when you exit the lake. It also takes in fresh water while in the lake and adds water when the pumps are on, and it drains out the over flow. Recirc just recirculates the water that you put in the livewells when the pumps come on. I've been told 25,000 other things, but this is my experience from using mine, and apparently mine are working properly. If your flapper is not working correctly, you will lose water in recirc mode when out of the water. If you have the recirc mod on and the pump out feature pulled out inside the livewell, you will be pumping out the water in the livewells.

Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Recirc should not let any water in or out. Empty will allow water in while in the lake or wherever. Empty will also drain the livewells as you exit the lake, etc. Auto will fill as you enter the lake, hold water while on plane or when you exit the lake. It also takes in fresh water while in the lake and adds water when the pumps are on, and it drains out the over flow. Recirc just recirculates the water that you put in the livewells when the pumps come on. I've been told 25,000 other things, but this is my experience from using mine, and apparently mine are working properly. If your flapper is not working correctly, you will lose water in recirc mode when out of the water. If you have the recirc mod on and the pump out feature pulled out inside the livewell, you will be pumping out the water in the livewells.
    Empty should allow water out but not back in again, if the selector is on EMPTY and you put the boat in the water, the livewell should stay dry. If it is letting water in the flapper valve isnt working correctly.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    If yours has Empty, Recirc, Auto, then you will get some water in the livewell on Empty, but it will drain out when you are on plane and when you take the boat out of the water.

8. Member
    I just ordered two rebuild kits for flow rite my 519 $13.00 each from ebay, the rubber flaps were dry rotted and split, wouldn't hold water.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Empty should allow water out but not back in again, if the selector is on EMPTY and you put the boat in the water, the livewell should stay dry. If it is letting water in the flapper valve isnt working correctly.
    Then my flapper is bad. Water comes in and out on Empty. I tried pumping out on Empty and it keeps filling back up. Does not do that on Recirc. Keeps filling and won't pump out on Auto for me.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    If yours has Empty, Recirc, Auto, then you will get some water in the livewell on Empty, but it will drain out when you are on plane and when you take the boat out of the water.
    Then my flapper is bad. Water comes in and out on Empty. I tried pumping out on Empty and it keeps filling back up. Does not do that on Recirc. Keeps filling and won't pump out on Auto for me.
    Yep, flapper prob worn out or valve might just need cleaned.

If you click on the link in post #2 and read any of the paragraphs next to EMPTY you will see how they intended for it to work.

11. Member
    Got it, thanks.

Got it, thanks.
    NP man, it's not a big deal to most guys, but for me when I want them to stay dry it is nice that it works as designed. Non-tourney days (and tourney morning) it has a little better holeshot.

13. Member
    Yeah, I always have mine on Recirc until I catch the first keeper. No water in the well till I need it for sure. But I also don't like something that isn't right, so I'll be buying the rebuild kit and getting it the way it is supposed to be. Funny thing is, I've asked a dozen guys and they all thought everything was fine the way it is now.