Let me ask this this way...

I need some help understanding the "factory wiring" on my Champion.
    It came with a Motorguide 12-24 volt trolling motor hard wired at the terminals behind the face plate at the bow from the factory, one black wire one red wire one white wire.
    Is the white wire the 12 volt?
    My new trolling motor is a Motorguide x5 80lb 24volt with two wires, one wire has a black and red sheath(positive) the other wire is just black(negative).
    I want to use the factory terminals behind the face plate at the bow.
    Does the black and red sheath wire go to the red(positive terminal) and the black wire to the black(negative terminal) and eliminate the white wire?
    Can anyone identify the white wire from the factory.
    I don't want to run new wires since the one from the factory work at the bow..and its clean.

2. Member
    The white is most likely the 12V but I would never trust that.

if you simply look at your batteries you will be able to tell. The 12v wire is the one that runs off the positive of the battery that is jumped. IE there's a short 4 gauge wire that runs from the negative of one battery to the positive of the second. The 12v will share that same post as that positive.

If that all checks out then yes your positive is the black red wire and negative is the black.

I had the same setup, but the owner of mine had made changes at the battery - that's why I suggest you don't rely on color without looking

3. Member
    Thank you very much...now that helps!

4. Member
    With a volt meter check red and black wires to see if you are getting 24 volts, then check white and black to see if you are getting 12 volts.