new truck question

when looking at new GM trucks ( probably surburban or yukon xl ) for towing z520c what would you want ? engine, transmission
    rear end gear ratio? or are they set. take it as it is, no options?

2. Member
    Not that it helps but, My Tundra came factory rigged with 4.30's as do most of them. Gas mileage sucks but it pulls my 721 like a beast. Only thing better is a super duty and I would be torn between the Duramax and the Cummings. JMO

I have a a 2008 Sierra with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears and it pulls my boat just fine which is, admittedly, not as big as yours. But, my dad pulls a Tr21x with a Tacoma. IMO, any combination you will get with the vehicles you mention will do that job but you'll get comments about it be woefully inadequate and you need to run out and get a 3/4 ton diesel.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Banned
    With a Suburban or Yukon type vehicle, I'd be looking at the 6.2 engine. It's a beast and gets within 1 mpg of the 5.3 engine unloaded.

Those vehicles are extremely heavy due to their having to be built like tanks--without passengers, their stuff and fuel. They are worthy of the highest horsepower available.

5. Member
    thanks for the replys. i like the idea of the 6.2. diesel is out of the question for me.

6. Member
    6.2 uses premium gas. most new gm trucks have 5.3 with 3:42 rear end which tows great and gets 22 mpg

7. Banned
    If you can wait another year, GMC/Chevy 1/2 ton trucks will be completely new designs. Ram's redesigning their trucks, too.

Since I keep trucks many, many years, I would put off buying a GM or Ram truck until the new models arrive. Of course the Fords have already been redesigned, and they're getting a front end facelift for model year 2018.

8. Member
    I know this may not help much, but I've seen the new colorado and canyon pull a 4 horse slant bumper pull loaded down and handled it with no problems. If you pick the halve ton the standard gears will be fine with the 5.3. With the suburban though I'd try to get the higher gears just to kind of help it a little more but you shouldn't have a problem at all

Pay attention to what others have said. The 6.2 is a great engine but it does require 91 octane before it can be all that it can be. It's up to you to decide if that's worth it. But in my opinion the 5.3 will tow you about just fine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    Yukon with the 6.2 would be my first choice. On the 6 speed I'd want at least a 3.42 if not a 3.73 to keep all that moving through America's lands. You don't want the 5.3/3.08 combo. I'm not up on the 10 speed transmission and axle ratios. I normally buy the lowest I can find. I messed up and bought the 3.08 one time. It'll do it. It's GM's programming, always up shifting real quick that kills ANY performance if you go for the "highway gears". There is no comparing GM's 6.2 and 5.3 in the low RPM range. That's where you tow. If you aren't stuck on GM check out a Sequioa. Yoters 5.7 going through a 6 speed with a 4.30 rear end will get ER done.

11. Member
    Munchie, there is some info on the '18 Tahoe and Yukon at tlftruck.com. also check out the IKE Gauntlet section of this site for lots and lots of towing, tests, and info.

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Pay attention to what others have said. The 6.2 is a great engine but it does require 91 octane before it can be all that it can be. It's up to you to decide if that's worth it. But in my opinion the 5.3 will tow you about just fine.
    Does not require 91 but suggest to use it for full performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    Does not require 91 but suggest to use it for full performance.
    91 is recommended, as it Gm says it is what the engine was intended to run on, not just suggested. Yeah, it will run on 87 but why buy the bigger engine if you're not going to get the full measure of its capability. Just buy the 5.3 instead.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I agree but I commented on the RQUIRED 91 post. It is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    I agree but I commented on the RQUIRED 91 post. It is not required.
    Semantics. No, the engine probably want rattle itself apart on 87 but if you want the engine to perform is as it was designed to it will require higher octane to do so. So, no the manual does not say required but in reality it is if you want to actually get what you paid for. And its actually 93, not 91.

Here's what GMC says on the matter:

"For the 6.2L engine, premiumunleaded gasoline meeting ASTMspecification D4814 with a postedoctane rating of 93 is highlyrecommended for best performanceand fuel economy. Unleadedgasoline with an octane rated as lowas 87 can be used. Using unleadedgasoline rated below 93 octane,however, will lead to reducedacceleration and fuel economy.If knocking occurs, use a gasolinerated at 93 octane as soon aspossible, otherwise, the enginecould be damaged. If heavyknocking is heard when usinggasoline with a 93 octane rating, theengine needs service."
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Oh boy that's what I said. You can use what you want but if you want he full performance you need premium. I use premium in mine and a friend of mine uses regular and said he has no issues.