Power pole on a TR-196

Any of y'all running a pole or Talon on your boat? If so what side do you prefer? My tournament partner usually has about 100lbs on me so we tend to lean a little on take off I'm thinking one pole may make it worse on that side.
    Also could you post pics of your set up that would help also.
    I have a terrova with SL so didn't want to get an ultrex and found a sweet deal on a PP
    thanks for any info.

2. Member
    I had them on both sides. Had one to start with and put on the starboard side. If I was only going to have one and did it over again I would put it on the port side
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

3. Member
    I've got dual poles and absolutely LOVE them. Buddy of mine has dual Talons - and to be honest, I like the poles better. One benefit of talons is they are electric - so no extra pumps and trying to find room in your bilge area for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

4. Member
    I have one on my 196. It's on port side. Helps balance my weight out when fishing solo. Plus that's the side it was on when I bought the boat. Coach

5. Member
    Not trying to steal your post. But can one of you guys tell me how much taller a 8ft pole sticks up over the top of the motor on a fixed mount. I have a 7 foot tall shop door. Be mad if I bought one and couldn't fit it in the shop

6. Member
    Mine are 8' poles - in the picture above. The stick up quite a ways higher than the motor.

I can't fit it under my garage door. But what I did - was stick an extra controller in my truck. Then when I back the boat in, when I get close enough - tap the button once to drop them a little, back in - then raise them back up........and I never have to get out of the truck.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

7. Member
    You will probably have to lower the pole to get it in the garage. Coach

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCASTER! View Post
    I've got dual poles and absolutely LOVE them. Buddy of mine has dual Talons - and to be honest, I like the poles better. One benefit of talons is they are electric - so no extra pumps and trying to find room in your bilge area for them.
    Two other benefits to the talon are..
    1- They take up less water to deploy.
    2- There is less stress on the talon because of column strength. Meaning they are not spread out taking side stress.
    I have not pulled the trigger on one yet but when I do for my Tr-196 it will be a talon.
    Jim

9. Member
    I would think the Talons have more stress on them, since they deploy straight down? There would seem to be alot more lateral movement stress than with a power pole?

My buddy has twin talons on his ranger - and to be honest, he's had nothing but problems with them (he got them brand new) - so much so, I'm glad I've got poles.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I have the Talon on the port side because I was trying to balance the boat out but if I was to do it again I would do two 12'.