New Ulterra - fin is crooked?

Just finished installing a new Riptide Ulterra and noticed the fin is not straight on the bottom of the motor. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

0520171225_HDR.jpg0520171219.jpg
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

2. Member
    It looks just like my Maxxum! I think that's normal.
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

3. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I beg to differ. Why would that be "normal" when it is clearly off center? I knocked my MG tour skeg off center trying to load the boat on the trailer on an electric motor only lake one summer coming in real fast to the trailer and was a bit too late getting the TM out of the water before I hit the trailer frame with the lower unit of the MG. I actually thought I bent the skeg but after careful measuring I came to realize I "turned" the actual skeg housing. So I removed the prop and very carefully loosened each bolt that holds the skeg end to the nose cap piece and then rotated it back straight. tightened up the bolts, installed the prop and turned on the TM thru all speeds and the motor actually sounded quieter.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    It's not normal or maybe it is bit it's not supposed to be like that. You can remove the prop and loosen the two bolts on the end cap and turn the skeg back straight. Loosen them just enough to move the skeg. Hitting something hard enough will cause the skeg to move,yours may have been bumped in shipping.

5. Member
    Could it be to compensate for prop torque ? I'm know that on single engine prop aircraft the vertical fin is usually offset by a couple of degrees, but thats in the horizontal, not vertical plane.

6. Member
    You have many choices. If it's new and it bothers you call Minnkota. You could check and see if the bolts may have been left loose, there are O rings under them to keep water out, they need to be tight. You could tighten them, or if they're loose and you want the skeg straight, tap the skeg with something soft, then tighten them. Motors can operate with the skeg in any position, it doesn't steer the boat it protects the prop, and transducer if used.

7. Member
    You've either struck something very hard amd rotated the motor housing or your screws are loose enough to allow for rotation too easily. Either way, this could allow for water to get by the seals so I would consider replacing those, especially the ones on the screws. Line it all up and set the torque on screws.

Mine was somewhat like this when I got it back from being rebuilt. I figured it was half a$$'d so I loosened the 2 bolts behind the prop and straightened it. Come to find out, that's what the tech does to tune it/make it run more quiet.

Charlie
    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

9. Member
    Thanks guys!

We havent even had it in the water yet. I'll check the screws and be sure they are tight. I think Im going to contact Minn Kota just to be on the safe side. Dont want them accusing me of banging the motor around if there is an issue. The box was undamaged when we got it, so I doubt it is shipping related. I suspect this is a "Friday" motor and the person who assembled it wanted to go home early.....

10. Member
    Remove the prop. slightly loosen the bolts and rotate straight, then retighten. If it's not been in the water, no need to worry about water intrusion.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    Thanks John. I will try that.

12. Member
    Just got off the phone with Minn Kota support. They said exactly the same thing John and others said - loosen bolts, adjust fin, go fishing :)

13. Member
    Received and installed mine about 3 weeks ago. Mine was exactly the same. Perhaps the cardboard blocks in the shipping container are the wrong height and cause it?!? I dunno. I just eyeballed mine to center as well. No further issues.

14. Member
    Fixed it today. If I hadnt spent 15 minutes looking for the prop pin I dropped in the grass, it would only have taken about 5 minutes.... :)

One of the bolts was quite a bit looser than the other one, so Im glad I checked it.

We got it out on the water today and it works great!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Fixed it today. If I hadnt spent 15 minutes looking for the prop pin I dropped in the grass, it would only have taken about 5 minutes.... :)

One of the bolts was quite a bit looser than the other one, so Im glad I checked it.

We got it out on the water today and it works great!
    I dropped that pin too the first time I opened it up! My Ulterra hit a dock once on a windy rough day and I learned a lot from this video on how to straighten it:

16. Member
    Thanks for posting that video. After watching it, a couple of others that were helpful to me also popped up.

17. Member
    I know, grammar Nazis are not popular, but the word SKAG is:http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...nition-of/skag

The word SKEG applies more to things associated with boating: https://www.google.com/search?q=skeg...hrome&ie=UTF-8

18. Member
    hehehehe

19. Member
    Something to keep in mind. When removing the prop keep the blades parallel to the ground and then the pin will also be parallel so it won't fall out!!

John

20. Member
    Good tip. I was thinking about using a dab of non-hardening gasket sealer to help hold it in place or maybe even just some marine grease.