Thread: Garbage TV

Garbage TV

So i got home from work last night and my wife shows me a Samsung 37" led smart tv she found sitting next to the dumpster. I plug it in, nothing like i figured. Pulled the back cover off, checked the main fuse, nothing, so i ran down to radioshack which is closing for good at the end of the week, got a 4 pack of fuses for $1. Solder the new fuse in, and bam go me a new 37" tv that i will usr for a new computer monitor. Pays to know a little bit about fixing things. Lol

2. Member

Good deal!

Knowing how to fix stuff is becoming a lost art.

My wife drives a wheelchair. The on/off switch is $86 from the medical supply store. The C&K 7105 switch without wires is $6. I knock the old wires off and solder them on the new switch. Takes 5 minutes. I win.

4. Member

5. Member

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Good deal!

Knowing how to fix stuff is becoming a lost art.

My wife drives a wheelchair. The on/off switch is $86 from the medical supply store. The C&K 7105 switch without wires is $6. I knock the old wires off and solder them on the new switch. Takes 5 minutes. I win.

7. Banned
    ... Just sayin... Dan

It's amazing how much money you can save yourself with a little google searching and knowhow. On my Tacoma the temperature gauge and compass stopped working. Toyota wanted something like 4-500 to fix it. Googled it, found out it was a common problem and it was due to the solder breaking on one of the resistors. Took it apart, looked and you could see the solder was cracked on that resister, soldered it back together and it worked great. Took a total of about 10 minutes to take it out, solder it and put it back together. Saved $500.

9. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post

Happens all the time in my world. We get paid for what we know, not what we do. We've had guys travel over 6 hours one way to reset an emergency shutdown air flap on an engine.
    Ranting incoherently

That's absolutely correct

I had a tv go to crap. A little google search and a Youtube video later I found the problem. Ordered a new board and fixed for less than $30.

14. Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    With all the highly innovative, skilled, problem solving individuals we have on the BBC who constantly save themselves a lot of money because of their expertise is it any wonder why so many deal in strictly cash when making a fishing related purchase?

YouTube and the BBC can be your best friend when repairs are needed

Gauges quit working in my GMC truck - a common problem with crappy stepper motors. $15 in part from fleabay, YouTube, a soldering iron, and voila! Fixed in about 1 hr.

18. Member
    The readout numbers on the face of the radio in my wife's Nissan Cube started to fade out, black numbers on an orange background, I read that it is from a bad ground inside the bezel, several people have sent off radios or had them pulled under warranty for repairs, most of them have come back as the repair shops could find nothing wrong with them, they would re-install the radios and they would work some for a while and some for only a short time, for some it was frustrating to say the least. Then I read where if you take your fist and place a solid blow to the outside of the face of the radio 2-3 times in the top right corner it jars the bezel ground enough to where it picks up the connection and the readout becomes bright and readable again. So, I did it and I will be danged if it didn't work and that has probably been 2 years ago when I performed the delicate maneuver, it has been working properly since. Found out that a lot of the radio's from removing them and shipping them back would rattle them enough to re-set the ground on the bezel, that is why the repair shops could find nothing wrong with them to repair, gotta love the Interweb for information!
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

19. Member
    We have become a disposable society, if it quits working most people just get a new one. I have saved thousands of dollars on repairs and replacement on all kinds of stuff over the years just by watching a couple of YouTube vids and fixing it. Most of the time it is a very simple procedure.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

20. Banned
    I got a cherry slurpee last week. It was obvious that it had been mixed with pina colada.