Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phoenix 721 PRO XP vs Triton 20TRX

Due to dealer location these are the brands I am interested in, and only these brands.
    I have done some pricing and equipped the same they are about the same. The BIRD is actually about 1500$ cheaper. Looking for pros/cons on each, and opinions of possibly people who have ran both platforms.
    Will using the boat for family fishing and tournament fishing, so that is something to also keep in mind.

So post away, looking forward to read each response. Your opinions are valued.

2. Member
    If it were me I'd go with the Phoenix even if it were $1500 more. No personal experience but it seems like the Triton quality has taken a hit in recent years. Really you need to hop in each and take them for a spin. See how it performs and which layout serves you best.

3. Member
    I would go with the phoenix but I'm biased. Triton has seemed to take a qc hit lately but if the boat is in stock you can look it over really, really good and if it checks out I wouldn't worry about it. Ride in each and see what you like

If the two boat are relatively the same but made by two different companies...I'd go with the cheapest one. If the one that was a little more really appealed to me for any reason at all, I'd go that way.
    2017 - Phoenix 919 / 225hp Pro Xs

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Get the one you like best, both are well made boats!!

I know Triton is taking a bashing because of a post or two on this board. I have a '13 19XS and it's been a great boat. I'm sure there are bad apples in every brand. I would never be afraid to buy a Triton.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

7. Member
    I agree.
    To say Triton has had QC issues lately is a gross stereotype based on a couple people's expierence.
    I'm sure you can find horror stories about every brand boat and auto. Both are fine machines and if you have it narrowed to this point I believe an on water test is the only thing to settle it. That being said. I'd drive both. Soak on them for a couple of weeks and then make the decision. I personally have little confidence on what I read on the internet. Bonjour.

8. Member
    Phoenix. The last triton I was in looked at felt like it should be sold at walmart

9. Member
    I actually have a triton 189TRX now. I haven't had any trouble with the boat, but there are things i like about each one. I am really torn, keep the post coming

Phoenix

11. Member
    I've ridden and fished from a Phoenix 920 and a Phoenix 721. I don't think I've fished from a glass Triton. But with the way the Phoenix rode and fished I'd put it on top of my list. Curious why not the 900 series though since it ha a wider deck and might be a bit more family friendly with the extra width.

12. Banned
    Triton will be wider up front if that matters to you.

13. Member
    Consider the level of service and support that the respective dealers can/will be able to provide VERY seriously when making your decision. I have owned 3 Tritons primarily because of the support my dealer has provided over years. On the Phoenix side, I talked to a gentleman at the ramp last week with a new 721. He had some issues with his boat that should have been addressed by the "dealer" before he took delivery. Turns out he contacted the factory folks at Phoenix and received very prompt and positive support from them. I'm talking a 10 minute response to an email and a replacement tach over-nighted to his house. He likes his 721 a lot. I believe Phoenix would sell a lot more boats in east Tennessee if they had a dealer worth a flip.

14. Member
    Triton
    2006 Z21 Ranger
    2006 Mercury Racing 250XS

15. Member

16. Member
    To take this post in the direction most of them typically go.........Basscat!

Seriously, I think its a coin flip on the two you're looking at. Pick the best dealer and go with it.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    Consider the level of service and support that the respective dealers can/will be able to provide VERY seriously when making your decision.
    This. If one dealership is treats you like a respected customer and the other doesn't seem to care all that much, pick the boat from the dealer that cares. The Trition dealer close to me couldn't be bothered to do anymore than "You need help?" 25 mins after walking around looking at and sitting in different models. He was sitting at his computer looking at facebook.

The Bass Cat dealer 2 hours away spent several hours showing me and my wife different models and going over the entire rigs and talking about Bass Cat. We bought the Cat. That decision has already paid dividends.

18. Member
    I currently own a '13 Triton. Phoenix at the top of my short list for my next boat. Triton isn't on the list.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipIt2119 View Post
    I've ridden and fished from a Phoenix 920 and a Phoenix 721. I don't think I've fished from a glass Triton. But with the way the Phoenix rode and fished I'd put it on top of my list. Curious why not the 900 series though since it ha a wider deck and might be a bit more family friendly with the extra width.
    the 920 is a possible as well. but not sure the wider deck forward of the bow cleat is worth the extra 2.5k. because the rest of the boat is the exact same. the 721 is longer than the 920 and its because it has a sharper taper forward of the bow the cleat.
    Last edited by jmonty256; 05-21-2017 at 05:37 PM.

20. Member
    I just went through this process of looking at a 920, 721 and Triton. I ended up with a LOADED 721, and it was the best decision I could have made. The front deck is plenty big, the storage is incredible and it rides like a friggin cadillac in big waves. If you end up going Phoenix, check out the board here. A lot of good recommendations that helped me out. I came out of a Triton, and it definitely takes a little time to "learn" to drive the 721, but after 10 hours I feel very comfortable in it. And, as others have mentioned, the customer service is second to none. I lost a windshield, and a cupholder, and Tim over at Phoenix got FREE replacements to me in 2 days before a tournament. I'd go Phoenix and never look back.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast