Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to drive a BassCat?

I read how you have to know how to drive a BassCat to achieve its best performance. However I have never seen anyone actually teach folks on how to do this. Nothing on YouTube either. It would be super cool if BassCat did a video explaining how to drive a boat to its max potential.

We may suggest that.

3. Member
    I like the idea. I can't achieve the speed some of these other people are seeing but I sure would like to.
    2013 BassCat Eyra
    Mercury Pro XS 250

4. Banned
    I like that idea.

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    They aren't hard to drive, but like any high performance boat, they take some seat time. When I had my CougarFTD/250ProXs, I was never able to get the boat above 77mph. Sherm took it out the first time he drove it and got it a touch over 80 and the boat was loaded down too! It just takes time to learn to control the chine. I never gave it a chance. I was more interested in fishing then just going fast I guess.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    I owned 4 champions before getting my 11 puma. It took me a while to be comfortable driving it up to 80. I was "sawing" the wheel way too much. It's hard to explain, but my best explanation is to drive it with your butt, so as to feel the balance point when up on pad. Little left hand corrections work for me. Another important aspect is to have the load balanced properly in the boat. I usually fish solo, so most of my weight is distributed on the port side of the boat. Generally keep the port gas tank full and run off the starboard tank. It's a good idea to have somebody teach ya a few things and get ya started in the right direction. But, once ya get it on your own then ya won't forget it and it will be second nature. They are easy to drive up to 70, after that you have to drive it a little. Seat time is the best and only way to get comfortable with the boat.

When you're by yourself it can help to put some water in the livewells.

8. Member
    On my 2016 Puma/250 SHO, like said above, 70 is pretty easy, above that is a work in process.

9. Member
    Learning to drive a BCB hull is a process in itself.
    I have stated this on other threads. Learning to drive the chine, doing it smoothly and to the hulls potential is two different things.
    Many have mentioned Sherms ability to achieve a faster speed than they can. Why? Its due to his experience driving BCB hulls and doing it smoothly.
    The owner of our local BCB dealer is the same way. One owner could only achieve 76 mph with his Cougar Advantage. My buddy got in and drove it to 83mph!
    A video of the proper way to drive a BCB would be beneficial, especially to first time buyers whose previous boat required maximum trim.
    Ultimately its seat time.
    Oh and another thing that helps....Turn the GPS OFF!! Habit is to look at your speed while driving. Learn to feel what the boat is doing. You will be surprised how much it is a distraction.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 05-24-2017 at 02:23 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    On my 2016 Puma/250 SHO, like said above, 70 is pretty easy, above that is a work in process.
    I want a ride in your Puma one day. Let me know when you are going up to chick and maybe at the end of your day you could give me a ride...

Greg

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    I want a ride in your Puma one day. Let me know when you are going up to chick and maybe at the end of your day you could give me a ride...

Greg
    Will do.

12. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Push the hotfoot to the floor and beg for more....

I'm still a little scared of my cat but 65 MPH is starting to feel a little slow. I'll keep easing my way into it, a little at a time. I haven't ran it much over 5000 rpm and I know its still got a lot more to go!
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

Where in Missouri?

15. Member
    Most make adjustments to the trim or JP if hydraulic to fast and don't let the boat settle on the pad. This was the mistake I was making with my Jag when I first got it. Trim the engine to the point right before you start to lose control. For me that is 5 on the trim indicator. From there it is just small bumps on the trim. Make a small bump and give the boat time to settle on the pad. Then bump it again. Each bump you will feel the boat get lighter and speed accelerate. A lot of guys trim to much initially and lose control from the get go. you should never trim so much you lose control right off the bat. I trim boat out to 4 on trim indicator initially until i reach max speed at that level, and then move it to 5 which brings me to around 76mph. from there it is several short taps of the trim lever til i get to WOT. Hope that helps some!!

As someone said earlier, smooth is fast. If you are sawing at the wheel to control the chine you are scrubbing too much, in short you are behind the curve controlling the chine. When done right it is very slight and smooth movements that dont control the chine, but rather PREVENT it from starting.

When people watch me drive my boat they think it's almost driving itself as im making micro adjustments to keep it perfectly balanced and going straight and therefor not scrubbing off any speed, little do they realize most couldnt get it within 3-4 mph of what I do, shes a rowdy little girl if you dont know how to drive her haha... at least to get that last 5mph out of her... up to there, or cruising at 80-85% she does just stroll along without much input needed

The other problem is most people trim too much too fast with a Cat. Ideally, with the right setup and good driving, a little over nuetral trim will have you rolling!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

17. Member
    When learning to drive my 2006 Pantera Classic with 200 Optimax, I read the article below, tried some things out on the water, read it again, and repeated. I have seen 71.5 on GPS after a bunch of seat time.
    http://basscatowners.yuku.com/topic/...e#.WSXYvGfruM8

me? North Central... Just north of Columbia,MO
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

19. Member
    Where are you running the jack plate?

20. Member
    32 regulator where are you running your jack plate?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast