Water separator for 150hp 4S SN2B205764.

Should I install a water separator/filter in the fuel line to the engine? I was told that Mercury provides all the filtration needed for the engine. I worry about water damaging the injectors. My boat is stored outside over the winter. It is covered but with Colorado weather it can get condensation in the tank. The boat is a Lund 1875 Crossover xs with the factory internal tank.
    Thanks
    CH

2. Banned
    A Mercury Marine FAQ suggests no. Says the motor has all the filtration needed. Concern is that too much filtration can lead to excessive restriction to fuel flow.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/faq/

Now Mercury Marine offers a boat mounted fuel filter which is a bit contrary to their FAQ.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...are/fuel-care/

If a vacuum gauge is installed at the outlet to a boat mounted fuel filter, and the gauge is monitored so that any restriction never becomes excessive, then you should not have a problem. In fact, the gauge may lead you to stop removing perfectly good filters that have lots of life left in them. Or it will warn you if a new filter becomes prematurely clogged due to a bad load of gasoline.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On the later-style Fourstroke Engines (such as yours), an External Racor-Style Filter (WITH WATER IN FUEL SENSOR/HARNESS) is highly recommended during install of the engine.

This is normally determined, spec'd and installed during rigging and PDI of the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Uh say what? Sounds like the dealer will get to figure it out. Thanks Guys, the times are a changin for sure.
    CH