87 Johnson 110 Gas, Oil Recommendations

Ready to get out on the lake after working on my 87 176 Superchamp. Motor serviced, carbs cleaned, new waterpump, VRO replaced with Fuel Pump and will mix oil/gas.

Looking for recommendations for what fuel/oil mix others would recommmend including additives (seafoam, etc) I should use to take care of this in the best manner.

Dont think I will find any non-ethanol gas near me, so what grade should I choose and what oil should I mix?

Should I add seafoam or any other additives either periodically or with every fill?

I'm an old man but finally have my own boat and want to take care of it after 6 months of resto.

Thanks in advance for help from the experts out there on what you would run with.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sorry to hear you elected not to replace the OMS (formerly VRO). It is really a very reliable system even though it seems to get bad press from uneducated folks. I would run Top Tier fuels, major brands. Stay away from the convenient store no brand types. I've run all octane ratings in my motors in the past but try to stay 90 or better with my HPDI. I run Sea Foam in every tank of gas and use BRP XD50 oil that was developed by OMC. It is a synthetic blend and has carbon inhibitors. I ran it in my 90 Johnson 120, 93 Mariner 200 EFI and still run it in my 07 250 HPDI. I would venture to bet that ChampioNman the moderator for the Johnson/Evenrude forum would recommend the same.

3. Member
    Stabil 360 (blue) or biobor ethanol treatment. Either will protect your lines from ethanol damage.

http://t.basspro.com/Biobor-EBGasoli...ductextensions

http://t.basspro.com/STABIL-360-Mari...1205110817131/
    Last edited by Sports1; 05-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'll chime in on what little I know about the BRP (Evinrude oils) All John/Rude carb motors require a 50:1 mix. 16 ounces of oil per 6 gallons of gas.
    XD-30 a conventional TC-w3 dino oil no carbon inhibitors, no real need to add Seafoam if you maintain the motor properly. If you aren't going to use the boat for extended periods add a stabilizer such as Marine Stabil. I use Startron as it is an enzyme treatment and eats the ethanol from the tank. Use BRP engine tuner every 100 hours for an internal decarb.
    XD-50 is a semi synthetic blend has Carb-X as an added cleaning agent decarb at 150 hours.
    XD-100 is a full synthetic and is designed for the DFI/ETEC motors, seeing your motor is a carb and you are premixing it isn't a cost effective consideration.

87 Octane is fine your motor is designed to run on up to 10% ethanol. 89 ethanol free is fine. No need to run 91 or 93 Octane despite what you hear, High Test actually has a lower flash point and doesn't provide any benefits to a low compression motor and will actually leave more deposits in the combustion chamber because of the lower flash point.

If you want to run Seafoam in your tank no need to use it every tank, add it every fourth or fifth tank. BRP has additives too such as Carbon Guard and 2+4 fuel conditioner. Hope this helps.

5. Pat Goff
    Regular gas.
    TCW 3 oil has a lot of detergents in it. Premium gas has a lot also so when you try to mix them you've over done it.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Feedback appreciated!

Replacing VRO was not in the original plan but was leaking during motor test so went with a straight fuel pump based on part cost.

I understand the difference between XD 30, XD 50, and XD 100 but is TCW3 essentially the same thing as XD 30 oil?

That's where I was slightly confused. Haven't seen XD 30 on the shelf at least on store shelves that I have seen thus far.

I have seen TCW3 , XD 50 , and XD 100.

Thanks for helping an old man that is new to owning a boat himself...
    Last edited by Satio; 05-21-2017 at 12:33 AM.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    XD-30 is a dealer item, if you are talking about the big box stores like Wal Mart The Evinrude oil they cell is regular TC-W3 dino oil. It is fine for your premixing.

8. Member
    Thanks again, Championman.

You along with others possess such a wealth of information and are always willing to help!