Fortrexx durable my @$$

the fortrexx is advertised as some bullet proof great almighty trolling motor. Guess what it isn't. My kid hit a stump at 50% and bent the shaft. Broke a price in the frame also. The little spring loaded breakaway device didn't break away so all the force was taken by the aluminum shaft. Customer service is also a joke as they said sometimes it doesn't break away. So the break away aspect of the trolling motor is not the weakest point then it doesn't serve a purpose to protect. I am less than pleased as I own another fortrexx that hit something that the breakaway did breakaway and I did not have any issues from other parts breaking. Just rolled it back into place and kept on going.

2. Member
    Mine did the exact same thing.. Huge pop and bent upper shaft, would hardly turn after the bump, need to take into repair I guess.

3. Member
    Yes did that. Thought warranty might cover it. 4 minn Kota trolling motors, 2 helix graphs, 2 core units and no help from customer service.

you bent the shaft? i did not think it was possible. always thought it would flex but not bend. guess i was wrong. also thought the shaft had a lifetime warrenty also.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    How old is your Fortrex? They have a composite shaft that should not bend. It might break if you hit something hard enough. The ones that I have seen pictures of that broke actually splintered close to motor. Sorry you are having so much trouble but I have never had any problems with Minnkota customer service.

6. Member
    It doesn't matter how much power your motor was delivering, when you hit something while moving along at a fair clip something has to give. 2000 pounds of boat will stop on a dime but something has to take that energy up. I have an older Maxxum, and have hit so hard that I knocked the spring out of its mount, but not bent the shaft or broken the lower one. Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    you bent the shaft? i did not think it was possible. always thought it would flex but not bend. guess i was wrong. also thought the shaft had a lifetime warrenty also.
    Life time warranty is for MFG defects: Not Abuse or Damage ..there is a Difference . Buy a new car , you wreck it..expect the Auto Mfg to give you a New Car?

8. Member
    The lifetime shaft warranty is to the original purchaser on the composite shaft. Not on the upper aluminum shaft. If you something hard enough, it will bend -- whether the break away works are not -- the upper will bend if it takes a big hit. that is not a defective part.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes it is not covered just still don't understand if you are going to engineer a breakaway system for protection of the shaft and components why it is not the weakest link. Just seems it would be pointless to have. Like putting a 40 amp breaker on a toaster oven for over current protection. Just let the damn thing burn up and take the house with it. Then we could just say that the breaker is not designed to trip all the time.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Bill View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes it is not covered just still don't understand if you are going to engineer a breakaway system for protection of the shaft and components why it is not the weakest link. Just seems it would be pointless to have. Like putting a 40 amp breaker on a toaster oven for over current protection. Just let the damn thing burn up and take the house with it. Then we could just say that the breaker is not designed to trip all the time.
    I understand the frustration. If the breakaway system was designed to be the weakest part, then you would be constantly "breaking away" on high speed when you initially start the trolling motor. There has got to be a certain amount of strength there for those instances. Unfortunately, that same strength keeps the bowguard from breaking away when something is impacted at less thrust (not speed -- speed can vary based on the weight of the boat and the inertia involved) then what the motor initially would start.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

My maxxum has broken free a thousand times and never bent.