Thread: Slow to plane

Slow to plane

I have a 618 Phoenix that planes out ok with just me, but is really slow with another person. It has a merc 150 pro xs, 3.5 inch prop to pad, and a tempest 23p. Wot is 60 mpg and about 6k rpm. Should I lower or raise the prop, adjust the vent plugs, open to any suggestions? thanks

Your WOT with a fishing light load doesn't sound bad with this prop. However, when you're loaded and launch wide open does your rpm max out quick and you have to feather it out til it grips and finally gets on plane. Or, does it take forever to build up RPM to a point where boat planes off. Dependent on your answer, if it's the former, you may benefit by having some cup put in the prop.

It takes a bit to build up the rpms to a point it planes off.

If all your pvs holes are plugged shut, don't change anything else yet. I think you'd like to turn up 3-4000 rpm on the hit and let the pitch of the prop pull you out of the hole. So you need more vent (or slip). If you are cheaplike me you'll just take a portable Dremell tool to the lake and drill an opening in each plug a little at a time til you get it where you want. Venting only affects your launch and has no effect on your top end. You can buy different size venting plugs from your Mercury dealer for around a buck each for future use in case one gets lost.

It has the medium plugs in now. I tried pulling them completely out, but couldn't even get on plane with just me in the boat then.

6. Member
    Your trying to get between 3500 and 4000 rpm's at takeoff and if it won't hit 3500 it needs more venting. Load the boat like your going to use it most of the time when you test your hole shot and you can open up the medium holes with a battery drill and a cheap step bit. You just open one hole a little and test it. Takes a little time but it's worth it.

7. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Get a Cris bailey foil problem solved 159 bucks brushed stainless steel

8. Member
    If the plugs don't fix it I suggest the hydrofoil. I use one on my 09 Triton with a 150 because I have the exact same issue as you. Works great.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro