Wireing a Taalon on a Skeeter

I am installing 10' Talons on my 2005 Skeeter TZX 200.
    I installed the first one last night. Was pretty easy installing the jack plate bracket with the tilt bracket.

Question is.....
    The back of that boat is pretty sealed up.
    How have you run the wires in ?
    Did you cut a new hole?
    Did you cut a hole in the tube from the motor to the boat?
    Can you tie them into the batter cables inside the motor cowling?

How oh how do I get those wires in.

Any pictures would be helpful as well.

Thanks

My previous boat had a rigid rigging tube but had a clam shell the hydro steering line came out of so I ran them through the clamshell.

My Ranger did not have a rigid rigging tube (the C boats do) but if it did I would have carefully cut a line between the ribs and pushed one side in to create a hole and pushed them through that way and worked my way up to a hole in the rigging tube if needed. My last option would have been drilling a hole If you take the breaker out of the holder they are easier to run in tight spots. I have seen attachments on the rigid rigging tubes to allow the fuel bulb to be out in the splash well and I'm not sure if something like that would be an option or not. I had one on my Nitro and it covered up a hole in the rigging tube that the fuel line ran into.

Doug Vahrenberg used to post a bunch of tips and tricks stuff here and had Talons on a Skeeter so you might be able to search for him and see if he has any install pics or a video. He has all of his videos on youtube. You could try a PM here but I haven't seen him post in months. You might be able to message him on facebook.

I have mine wired with the positive leg on the master power switch with the negative leg going to the battery. It prevents pretty much any chance of them deploying accidentally and stops any parasitic draw. I'd wire in the alarm but I don't know what wire to use on a Yamaha. On Mercury purple is switched and I had an unused wire at the console I tied into. I'm not sure if Yamaha has a key turn beep like a Mercury, and the alarm can be hard to hear over that beep but I pause for a couple seconds after the beep and then turn over the motor. I did not have the alarm hooked up this winter and had them down to control my drift and forget they were down and punched it. It broke one of the tilt brackets so I hooked it up after that.

I have no idea on if you would tie them in under the cowl or not.

3. Member
    Thanks.

I was told to drill a hole in the boat , run the wires through, and then put a clamshell on I. I may do that but I don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the boat. I had thought about cutting a small hole in the rigid motor rigging tube and running them that way. I was going to wire them directly to the battery. Negative to battery and positive to battery through a cutoff switch. I would like to wire up the alarm, I just have to figure out how to do it.

I ran mine under the tube so I didn't have to cut a hole.

There is a hole in my transom where all the steering cables and shift controls go through. I have two Talons and there was enough room for me to squeeze both my wires through the hole. If my memory is correct the hole had a rubber boot that had a zip-tie that fastens around boot to clamp down on all the rigging as it goes through the hole in the transom. I cut the zip-tie so it gave me more room to run the wires through the hole. Once done I just put another zip-tie on the boot. I am not familiar with Skeeter but I would assume you have some type of hole where your steering and shift cables run through the hull.

Not a good picture of rigging but you can still see it on the right hand side of the picture. You can see one of the talon wires next to the water temp probe. The other talon wire is on the front side of the rigging out of view.

Last edited by JR19; 05-19-2017 at 03:32 PM.