Differences in the early 60 deg v6 motors?

i have a 1996 Johnson V6 175 hp. I recently lost #6 cyinder as the bearing cage let loose and damaged the cylinder. I found a 93 150 hp power head with very low hours. (It has a 25" mid secction and I have a 20" or i would just use the motor.) I know it is different because all remanufactured power heads block these motors into years. 91-93 then 94-96. what is the difference on 93 block? My parts manual shows the Wiring to the sensors to be different, but the crank and pistons to all be the same. The manual does have different part number for the blocks... are they really different? Will the 93 block mount right up to my 96 midsection and get me back on the water?

Still looking for any 1991 heads as well.

Thanks
    John G.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No not really, the 1991 and early production run 1992 used a different crankshaft the flywheel end is smaller diameter. 1991-1994 carbs used fixed orifices for both idle and mid range. 1994 and up used adjustable idle jets. Somewhere around 1995/96 they added a bleed off hole to the voltage regulator pocket. Also if you go to any model earlier than 1995 you'll have to move your engine's wiring harness to the new one or get an adapter cable to convert the cannon style connector (big red plug) to your boats MWS harness.
    As far as bearing cage are you referring to the wrist pin bearing? If the damage is not too extreme you can bore the cylinder or resleeve it and install a new piston/ring set and keep on trucking. As long as the crank shaft is OK. You should also check the trueness of the connecting rod.

3. Member
    It was the bearing cage on the crank so it damaged the crank as well as the cylinder wall. The 93 model I can purcahsed can be picked up for $1500.00. No one in this area does any machine work on Outboards... they would rather purchase a new remanufactured unit.
    If the 1993 power head would mate with my 96 mid and lower, I was going to use all my original accessorys, carbs, sensors, powerpack, stator, etc... so i could keep my factory wiring as is.
    The 93 was on a Boston Whaler and the O-meters show 580 on one motor and 585 on the other. (meters are working so I can only hope they are accurate.) Boat looks like it spent most of the time dry and compression on the motors show 100 - 105 psi.

John

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes the power head will mate no problem you'll need a power head to mid section gasket Just pull both heads and make the swap. The motors have built in lift rings on each side of the block right in the middle. Once the crank is screwed not worth it.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You going to keep the Whaler?

6. Member
    The whaler is owned by another fellow who is selling the motors and replacing them with 4 strokes.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    just my luck.