Thread: Trailer Coupler

Trailer Coupler

For many years been thinking the what if? including 2 pics, 1st is what everybody has, and had to replace a few over the years, < Due to the Ball frog get's Bent over time. and even tho they are plenty new even Walmart. Mine is welded on, went thru 4 new ones , to find a match of the frog .. They change innards ever so often apparently, just for sake of a change I guess.... With that being said , when I totally replace the Boat trailer coupler wil require having welds cut off and cleaned up to put a total new coupler back on . specifically replaced 2 on a ski boat trailer and once on a bass boat trailer. the 2nd pic is what's on my Horse trailer and only had to replace the steel pin, that holds the slide out ball lock on side.. other than that never any issues with the horse trailer coupler.. So wonder why the boat trailer MFG never use the pic #2 style?? and I was thinking of changing to that style on bass boat trailer. Lets hear the thoughts

< pic #1 /pic#2> pic #3 this is actual what Horse trailer has now, due to the a FRAME AND Crank down Jack and know it's not made for Boat & Utility style trailer fames It they where ya bet I'd put a RV electric crank on the Bass Trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The Bulldog coupler is heavier rated and more expensive. Seems odd your boat trailer coupler is welded on. Most of those stamped couplers I've dealt with have been bolted on.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

caftan every 5 past boat trailers have been the Bolt ons.. lolo.. but last trip to shop for trailer tires, I left it with them, and since they also worked on cars besides just selling tires, asked them to redo the coupler as left, I figured they'd put new bolts on with the new coupler I left.. when picked it up, they welded it on very good.. along the length of frame top side and even underneath and the rear top and sides.. geeze that's gonna be a lot of cutting welds, when that day comes.. guy remarked Burned 4 rods and should never worry of a unbolt and get trailer stolen.. was True but Dang! the bottom frog are prone to get bent easly

4. Banned
    You can replace just the frog. Or if its sloppy just adjust it. No need for a new hitch.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    You can replace just the frog. Or if its sloppy just adjust it. No need for a new hitch.
    This ^^^^^^^
    Rocket