Hooking a PP to the trolling motor battery???

i was just reading on other places where people hook their poles up to their trolling motor batteries instead of the starting... never heard of this before and came on here to look but didnt find anything. Do people do this? what about when you have a 24 or 36 volt trolling motor setup?

thanks for the help

You can do this. If you have two poles and 24v nothing special is required. If you have 1 pole on a 24/36v you should rotate through them each throughout the season 15 days of use between switching would be on the cautious side I'd go 25 days of use each. Anyways with 2 poles and 36v switch 1 after 20ish uses and then another 20 uses switch the other one back to the first replaced one... More or less just trying to live the life cycle of all batteries evenly so you don't buy 2 batteries a year earlier than the third.

Now if you were able to put say live well pumps on the third there would be no need to switch anything randomly. But that's to much work to bypass a new boats factory wiring.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    one question.... Why would you want to?

Save power for cranking the Mercury. Why wouldn't you? Not like your fish finder that will have RF interferance displayed on the screen....

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I would rather take a little away from my cranking as its not used that much compared to your trolling motor batteries that see far more use during the day.

Well I fish in North Dakota where it is always windy and I do not run out of trolling motor in 18 hours, but I have run out of cranking power more than once, because I'm always on the troller not the merc, I also use my blades a lot! Like 30 ups and downs a day on average, I use them in 15' of water to power drift slower than possible with out them.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Just a difference of opinion I suppose, I have had mine up and down prob more then a hundred times in a day, and cranked the big motor up, over and over , and over moving from waypoint to waypoint. Never ran out of cranking power. My trolling motor batteries are just that and will remain dedicated just to my trolling motor. No reason they cant go to whatever battery you like, but the cranking battery is the norm on powerpole installs.

I'd probably go with a bigger cranking battery first...

I upgraded to an Interstate 31 XHD before I installed my poles. I also bump down the light on my screens by a few so they pull a little less.
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard

Agreed, when you crank the motor to go to your next waypoint you charging that battery, drop the troller and run it 6-9 hours without using gas motor and return with your findings haha yes just an opinion difference.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Agreed, when you crank the motor to go to your next waypoint you charging that battery, drop the troller and run it 6-9 hours without using gas motor and return with your findings haha yes just an opinion difference.
    exactly my point why have more draining off your trolling motor batteries..

11. Member
    Sounds like you need a better cranking battery