Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Banned
    Local shop called and said the part came in... Said it would take 45-minutes to replace the defective part... Dropped by the shop Sat. morning and 15-minutes later it was done! Apparently it's 4-bolts off - Install - 4-bolts on...
    Pic of the new part:
    Reeds.jpg

2. Member
    Cool. Thanks for posting. I had mine done last week and took it out on Sunday. Runs great!
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    For the dealer/mechanic to get paid for the labor--- Mercury will have a record of it.. I would still ask where your copy is..
    +1... no records, dealer did it for "free".

Not likely to be the case, but I have seen it....

There is an updated revision of the bulletin. 2017-05R1. Service Replacement compressors may now be included- see your Servicing Dealer if you have questions about YOUR compressor on YOUR engine.

For those that have mentioned buying a boat "used"- it is required that Mercury be notified of the new owner. That being said... you are welcome to send me the Serial Number and I'll be happy to check it's status for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1... no records, dealer did it for "free".

Not likely to be the case, but I have seen it....

There is an updated revision of the bulletin. 2017-05R1. Service Replacement compressors may now be included- see your Servicing Dealer if you have questions about YOUR compressor on YOUR engine.

For those that have mentioned buying a boat "used"- it is required that Mercury be notified of the new owner. That being said... you are welcome to send me the Serial Number and I'll be happy to check it's status for you.
    don- I had this repair completed early last week. Do I need to be concerned for the fact I did not get a replacement compressor? When was the TSB updated and do you think my dealer would have been privy to the update?
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

Don, Thanks for getting me in the other day for this repair. There is a much more noticeable "bloop" sound from the compressor now.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    I just had mine done a couple of weeks ago. Need to call the dealer about the revised notice. They did not mention the white dot thing.

7. Member
    Mine is with dealer now, they went to replace the reed plate assembly but found some prob with the compressor (scored or something like that?) and so needed to order those parts and replace the compressor...hope to be able to get it tomorrow but they were waiting on one other part for Mercury
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

8. Member
    Has anyone had any problems after the part change. I noticed mine takes longer to start and idles roughly for a bit then smooths out and runs fine. It is not just on the first start of the day either. It used to fire right up and idled smoothly from the get go, I'm wondering if I need to take it in and replace it again. My dealers were aware of the revision and my compressor showed no carbon build up or scoring.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagmo View Post
    Has anyone had any problems after the part change. I noticed mine takes longer to start and idles roughly for a bit then smooths out and runs fine. It is not just on the first start of the day either. It used to fire right up and idled smoothly from the get go, I'm wondering if I need to take it in and replace it again. My dealers were aware of the revision and my compressor showed no carbon build up or scoring.
    Something else is Coincidentally wrong with your motor now. Changing the reed plate on the compressor to a newer, better one, will not create a issue.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Something else is Coincidentally wrong with your motor now. Changing the reed plate on the compressor to a newer, better one, will not create a issue.
    Thank you for the reply...but it looks like the mechanic rolled the O ring during replacement of the reed plate, which caused this problem, whew still covered by the original fix..... according to Mercury this has happened more than a few times....
    Last edited by Bagmo; 08-08-2017 at 04:33 PM.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have seen one item that is (very remote, but possibly) related to the reed plate replacement.

If Mr. Technician (aka: Jebediah 2-4-C) gets a bit carried away with gluing o-rings in place with 2-4-C, some of it may migrate into the reed openings and cause irratic opening or closing of the reeds.

Very rare... but some folks just can't help themselves when it comes to "slathering" that stuff around.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I have seen one item that is (very remote, but possibly) related to the reed plate replacement.

If Mr. Technician (aka: Jebediah 2-4-C) gets a bit carried away with gluing o-rings in place with 2-4-C, some of it may migrate into the reed openings and cause irratic opening or closing of the reeds.

Very rare... but some folks just can't help themselves when it comes to "slathering" that stuff around.
    My dealer heard that from Mercury along with the possibility of a rolled O ring during installation of the new part....He ordered the new O ring and Mercury told him this has happened more than a couple of times....maybe there will be a Revision 2 explaining the possibility of rolling the O ring and to be liberal with the slathering of the gunk
    .... Thank you sir.
    Last edited by Bagmo; 08-08-2017 at 04:41 PM.

13. Member
    Parker O-ring installation lube would solve the problem, but I understand 24C is already on hand for most Dealers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234