installing trolling motor

I am about to install a new to me trolling motor and I have been told to different things. 1- I was told to drill the 1/2 holes for the mounts then counter sink them. This is suppose to help you not have spider web cracking. 2- I was also told drill the 1/2 hole and don't counter sink them because that will cause the spider web cracking. When I took my old trolling motor bracket off the holes were not counter sunk, but then again I am going from a pretty light weight old 12/24 Johnson to a Motor guide tr82. Installing the bracket is the last step for me.
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike

2. Member
    Some reverse the drill untill bit is through gel coat, then continue forward with drill after in glass through. Usually 1/4" holes, big washers used. No counter sinking holes is necessary.

3. Member
    The "countersinking" is to prevent cracking. You are really not trying to countersink anything. You are just removing the sharp edge.

4. Member
    If you're using the isolators, you will need a 1/2" hole. If using the bolts only, it will be a 1/4" hole. I use a spade type bit (like is used on wood) to drill the holes. The center parts starts the hole, then the outside edges do the work.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]