Thread: Lake Bemidji

Lake Bemidji

Does Lake Bemidji have many bass in it? BASS collegiate national championship will be held there this year and I've not seen to much information on the lake. Most of what I've read says very little about bass fishing and a lot about walleye. Can anyone give me some insight about the runs from one lake to another, they all seem small. Thanks everyone.

285 Stratos PRO XL/ 175 Merc
    2006 Z-71

2. Member
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/...ml?id=04013002

There's one. It will be a real shootout!!

3. Member
    That part of the state, you cannot go wrong with any lake for bass. The best ones are down a dirt road that you will probably have to really maneuver to get that boat into. Good Luck!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/...ml?id=04013002

There's one. It will be a real shootout!!
    Race to catch that one fish.....looks like those kids will have their work cut out for them!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dudewheresmyboat View Post
    That part of the state, you cannot go wrong with any lake for bass
    Oh yes you can!!

6. Member
    I went to school in Bemidji and fished the lake multiple times trying for bass, didnt give it a lot of time either time i was out because i could not catch a bass out there to save my life. A few of my other friends that were up there said the same thing as well. i fished many of the other lakes around and they are excellent for bass, but bemidji itself is worthless for bass unless you make the long trek up the river into stump lake i believe its called. I tried that run up the river once while i was up there with my ranger and it takes quite a while of idling. That was about 8 years or so ago now so maybe things have changed, but it was worthless for bass when i was up there. Good luck.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 285_PRO_XL View Post
    Does Lake Bemidji have many bass in it? BASS collegiate national championship will be held there this year and I've not seen to much information on the lake. Most of what I've read says very little about bass fishing and a lot about walleye. Can anyone give me some insight about the runs from one lake to another, they all seem small. Thanks everyone.
    Not many fish in there and that section of the river has tons of rock piles that have just as many lower units piled up as rocks. Tell the boys to save their money for beer and pizza and stay home. Unless they want to drive up just to get a picture with Babe and Paul.

To tell the truth though I'd put my money on the two Beavers participating to win. Hard to beat kids who go to school for 4 hrs looking out the classroom windows at that very lake. I'll save you the time of calling around to local guides too. Most will know the boys. They are Beavers or related to someone that is. Pretty much everyone in the fishing industry up there has worked for/with the local business that sponsors the team. Good luck getting any info, just like your seeing here, vague worthless nothings that aren't going to give your boys any edge. It is funny that the DNR doesn't have any electrofishing results up.

8. Member
    To tell the truth though I'd put my money on the two Beavers participating to win. Hard to beat kids who go to school for 4 hrs looking out the classroom windows at that very lake. I'll save you the time of calling around to local guides too. Most will know the boys. They are Beavers or related to someone that is. Pretty much everyone in the fishing industry up there has worked for/with the local business that sponsors the team. Good luck getting any info, just like your seeing here, vague worthless nothings that aren't going to give your boys any edge. It is funny that the DNR doesn't have any electrofishing results up.[/QUOTE]

If anybodys going to catch them its going to be those 2! Itd be very hard to beat them.

9. Member
    So, what I'm hearing is that it's unsafe to run to the different lakes? Not nescessarily asking for any secret spots or lures. I'm just wanting to make sure the waters are somewhat navigable.

2006 Z-71

10. Member
    It's a 6500 acre lake with islands and bars, plenty of hazards right there in the main lake. Are you fishing it or just going to watch? Weren't you the one who wanted a rental for a secret thing on an undisclosed date in an unreleased lake some where in MN?

11. Member
    I'm fishing it C_W. I wasn't sure of the lake at the time just had heard some rumors of the event being held in MN. Was potentially looking for a rental boat as a worst case scenario in case my partner decided not to make the 1,400 mile journey. We will be headed that way in August though.

2006 Z-71

12. Member
    With all the really great lakes in MN, it blows my mind they would pick lake bemidji...

I'm fishing it C_W. I wasn't sure of the lake at the time just had heard some rumors of the event being held in MN. Was potentially looking for a rental boat as a worst case scenario in case my partner decided not to make the 1,400 mile journey. We will be headed that way in August though.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post
    With all the really great lakes in MN, it blows my mind they would pick lake bemidji...
    Same here. My guess is they worked something out with the city of Bemidji to bring the potential revenue and exposure in to the city. Even so, they still could've based there and fished a better lake.

14. Member
    BASS likes to make things challenging. They claim that it gives them the best of the best to represent the College BASS program for the year.

2006 Z-71

15. Member
    Im not sure which one is more challenging going to a lake with minimal bass that have virtually no pressure or going to a lake with more bass that has a lot more pressure. Just seems like a lot of time and effort for a not so good lake. When it comes to tourney fishing we all know its one thing to find fish, but another to find the big ones you need to win. To each their own!

BASS likes to make things challenging. They claim that it gives them the best of the best to represent the College BASS program for the year.

16. Member
    MT3 Bass is at Bemidji on July 30th, so I will have a couple of prefish days on the lake. I've heard better reports than whats being said here, but we will see.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

17. Member
    Have you fished it yet, curious to see how the fishing truely is!

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    MT3 Bass is at Bemidji on July 30th, so I will have a couple of prefish days on the lake. I've heard better reports than whats being said here, but we will see.

18. Member
    it was very good - no giants, but we identified where the fish live - lots of 2-2.5 lb fish. My tournament is this weekend, I might expand after that. we didn't catch a kicker, but we didn't linger very long when we caught more than one good one.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums