Minn Kota talon second stage not deploying

I am having an issue with one of my talons not deploying the second stage. The spike engages but stops when extended. Anyone have a fix or similar issue?

2. Member
    I just went through the same deal 2 months ago. My symptom was when the 2nd stage was supposed to deploy, the black tab that releases the 2nd stage would not disengage. This tab is located on the bottom part of the 2nd stage, IIRC. I had to push it in while deploying (dont use your finger, don't ask how I know) it to make the 2nd stage come out. (then the third would get stuck... but that isnt really important) I took it to an ASC. Took 2 trips and 3 weeks total to get it diagnosed and put back together properly. To be fair he warned me it might take awhile since 1) he hadn't worked on a talon's insides yet and 2) his Talon training would be a week after I brought it to him so most of his work would be via phone with MinnKota techs. The remedy according to the guy who fixed me up? A fastener inside the talon worked itself loose and was jamming/blocking the mechanism to allow the tab to release the second stage. It also ended up messing up other components as moving parts started grinding into other parts.

In my case, it ended up being an internal part, and according to the ASC, the insides of the talon should be left to a qualified repair person.

3. Member
    Had the same issue with one of mine and a similar solution to OldMikey. An internal screw backed out. Caused one of the pulleys to break as well. Leave the internals to the experts. 5yr warranty on mechanical issues.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

Does anyone know if this is a Gen2 issue, or had it happened to any Gen1 Talons?
    Scott Inman

5. Member
    Went to place that I purchased and installed. They don’t seem to know much other than power poles. I am gonna try and mauanlly deploy and wash off good and put on a dry lubricant. Then cross fingers and if it doesn’t work I guess ship to minn Kota.