Thread: Ultrex

Ultrex

I finally had the chance to try out my new Utrex. It took me all of 10 seconds to get very disappointed. That's how long it worked before quitting. No power light. I rechecked all the connections for loose wires. Nothing. A few minutes later it came back on and worked for abut 2 minutes. I left it and went back to fishing without it. A few minutes later I noticed the blue power light was back on. After that it worked flawless the rest of he day. No idea what was going on but I was very impressed after that.

2. Member
    Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Brady bass View Post
    Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere
    I would agree with this - take a look at your TM plug.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Member
    I took the plug apart on the lake. Nothing loose and had power going to the TM. I'll check the power switch on the TM.

5. Member
    check your breaker

I think MK needs to get on these problem machines in a hurry. What a great concept and boating aide not to be 100% reliable and for what a measly $2700 plus tax and installation.

7. Member
    This doesn't sound like an Ultrex problem.... it sounds like a wiring/connection/breaker problem. Are you using the recommended 60 amp breaker? If you have an undersized "automatic" resetting breaker, I could see this being the issue.

Also, if the foot pedal is sitting in a recessed foot tray, make sure the tray is not putting a lot of strain on the wiring sheath/bundle of wires coming out the bottom, back of the pedal. Kinda sounds like the problem to me. Maybe it was fine at first... then with use it slid forward a little, putting strain on the plastic thing the wires come out of causing a disconnect of something. Then you possibly check things out when it has no power... and shift the foot pedal a little easing the strain. Then it works again. I have read of someone else with this being the issue. Seems like they put a little bit of something under the bottom of the back of the foot pedal to raise it up just enough to keep it from happening. Just a thought.
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 05-21-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

8. Banned
    My tournament parter had one installed on his boat and the first time out it did the same thing, where the cables meet the electric steer line there is a small junction box. Open it up and check the wires, he had a loose connection and wedged it in to make it through the weekend. Called MK and they sent a brand new TM and prepaid postage to send the old one back. Hope this may be the issue but whatever it is, MK will take care of it.

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I had to upgrade to 60 amp breakers on my Ulterra for the same reason.....my 40 amp breakers would automatically reset after a few minutes....

10. Banned
    Def need the 60 amp

11. Member
    Thanks. I'll check that. I did have power to the plug when the TM wouldn't work.

12. Member
    It did the same thing again saturday. I gave it a light kick and it worked for the rest of he day. Are warranty claims handled through you or do I contact the factory?
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Def need the 60 amp

13. Banned
    shoot me an email

14. Member
    Email sent.