Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

RAM 2500 Hemi, 1500 Ecodiesel or Tundra

I'm in the market for a new truck. I'm in between the RAM 2500 HEMI, 1500 Ecodiesel and the Tundra. I'm leaning heavy toward the Tundra. I currently own a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali and I've had it for about 8 years. I plan on having the next one for at least that long and don't want a bunch of maintenance issues. I just want to hear from owners of these vehicles please. Thanks

I like our ecodiesel better than I thought I would.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

3. Member
    My buddy has an Ecodiesel and that thing is really nice. Great fuel economy and he doesn't baby it. Pulls a boat great, and is quiet too. Another good friend just got a 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 and he is going nuts over how much he loves it. Quiet and powerful, and he took its maiden voyage to the beach and back, got 22 mpg on the entire trip, and he did not go Interstate. Worth a look unless you just don't care for Fords.

4. Member
    I own a '15 Ecodiesel, pulling a 21' Skeeter I can get 16-19 mpg depending on trip. Empty I can get 28-29 easily. Doesn't have the power of the Cummins but does a excellent job and rides better than a 3/4 ton. I've owned Cummins in the past and like this truck better than those. Never owned a Tundra and have only drove one a short distance.

Ram 2500 Hemi vs eco ... 2 totally different animals. Fuel mileage, towing,ride all completely different between these 2.
    I currently own 2500 Hemi 6.4 and it sucks fuel but I knew that when I bought it and couldn't afford the diesel but own a 35' bumper pull and needed the heavier truck.
    Dusty Romero
    BBT

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rome258 View Post
    Ram 2500 Hemi vs eco ... 2 totally different animals. Fuel mileage, towing,ride all completely different between these 2.
    I currently own 2500 Hemi 6.4 and it sucks fuel but I knew that when I bought it and couldn't afford the diesel but own a 35' bumper pull and needed the heavier truck.

When my 2500 was stock I would get about 23mpg on the highway. Diesel is also cheaper. As I said in the other thread, you can get a Ram 2500 Diesel for 40k.

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    2013 Tundra crewmax has been flawless for me

8. Member
    If your shopping new, the Eco diesel isn't available. They've got them pulled of the line waiting to resolve the emissions testing issue with EPA. I own a 2014 and reliability has been good so far, but I also worry a lot about what the Exaust gas recirc back into the intake will do to the longevity of the motor. I love it but prob be looking to trade before it runs out of warrantee...

I could give you my opinion on my Tundra but it's just that, an opinion. You're going to have to test drive all three possible trucks and figure out which one YOU like the best. I like certain things about my Tundra that others guys might consider a disadvantage.

Ram diesel is what I would get. The 2500 with the Hemi is a pretty good combo but the mileage is gonna be pretty low

11. Member
    I've got an 07 Tundra Cewmax, had since new, over 100k miles. Very reliable, very comfortable, pulls good, huge back seat if you carry more than 2 people. The negatives are gas mileage and a small gas tank. Mine is a 26 gallon but I believe now you can get a 36 as an option add-on. These are by far the 2 biggest complaints you'll hear on a Tundra. I'm planning on getting at least another 10 years and 100k miles out of it and hopefully more.

12. Member
    Denali probably has another 100k in it................
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

If you want to keep it for 10 years, you can't go wrong with the Tundra. I'm on my 3rd Toyota since I started driving. Started off with a 91 4Runner, then went to a 2005 Tacoma and now a 2016 Tundra. My Tacoma was never in the shop except for general maintenance. The one thing I've always noticed with my Toyotas is that 10 years later, they are still as solid as they were the day I bought them. My parents have owned 7 Toyotas my wife and I have own multiple as well. Every single one, they don't have squeaks and rattles, the doors are solid as can be when you close them etc. Compared to my cousin's trucks, which have been everything from GM to Ford to Dodge, they always rattle and just sound like they aren't as solid once they start hitting 5-6 years old.
    Now it's going to depend on your needs, you really aren't comparing apples to apples with your choices. Is gas mileage important? If so, you don't want the Tundra, you are going to get right about 15 mpg maybe 17 on the hwy. If you mpg's the ecodiesel is probably your best choice. I've got no experience with them, but I've heard mixed reviews on them, some are having a ton of problems with them, others are saying they are great. Some people are happy with their power, others say it doesn't have any pep to it. What's the reasoning for jumping up to the 2500 with the Hemi? Do you need the 3/4 ton? The Hemi in the 2500 is probably going to be similar in gas mileage to the Tundra, but have more capacity if you need it. Will ride rougher, but adds the capacity.

14. Member
    Tundra

15. Member
    you plan on selling the 2005 gmc ???? i might be interested in it

16. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    I had a Tundra. Nice truck. My next truck was a Chevy 3500 dually Duramax diesel. I had to sell it due to family situations.

The following year I was again in the market for another truck. I test drove every model gasser because I thought that is what I wanted. After all the test drives I just could not compare them to the diesel. Wound up with a 2500 Duramax.

I think diesels are like sex...once you go black or diesel there is no going back. Gassers just don't compare to a diesel.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

17. Member
    DA Toad is correct, there aint no going back.

18. Member
    Ram2500 with 6.7. I'm getting 20 mpg avg. Not pulling.

19. Member
    My 15 Tundra was FLAWLESS the 52,000 miles I owned it. Not one TSB or recall. Oil changes were every 5,000 miles 8qts synthetic with tire rotation were about 100.00 at the dealer.

My FIL's Ram Eco is the real deal on economy and pulling power. Sadly he must have got a bad copy. In the first 8,000 miles it has left him stranded with a bad PCM connection and now it's been back for some sort of malfunction in the DEF system. He already wishes he could have his old V-8 Ram back.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomworms View Post
    Ram2500 with 6.7. I'm getting 20 mpg avg. Not pulling.

I miss those days. When I put 37s on that all changed. Now towing or not I get 16mpg lol. Weird how it doesnt matter if I have the boat hooked up or not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast